- Get Fatigued easily?
- Have insulin resistance?
- Don’t burn fatty acids well?
SIRT3 combats all of these, and if you are suffering from these issues, SIRT3 might be a component of the problem….
If you want to interpret your genes, you can use SelfDecode.
Summary of SIRT3
SIRT3 is a mitochondrial protein and has also been studied in regards to longevity and metabolic syndrome.
It is involved in controlling reactive oxygen species in the cell. Higher levels of SIRT3 are connected to longevity.
Reduction of SIRT3 function was found to lead to mitochondrial dysfunction and metabolic syndrome (R).
Lower SIRT3 is also thought to be a causal factor for pulmonary hypertension (R).
SIRT3 and Increased Energy
One major function of SIRT3 is regulation of mitochondrial electron transport chain activity to increase energy production, particularly from fat.
SIRT3 is important for activating enzymes (e.g. LCAD) that break down and burn fat for energy. Simultaneously, SIRT3 decreases carb metabolism (R).
SIRT3 increases increase acetyl-CoA (by increasing acetyl-CoA synthetase 2), which is the fuel for the Kreb cycle (R).
Additionally, SIRT3 directly stimulates the Krebs cycle to increase energy production(especially the conversion of isocitrate to α-ketoglutarate by increasing IDH2 activity) (R).
SIRT3 promotes mitochondrial function by enhancing the activity of the first (NDUFS1&9) and second complexes (SDHA) in the mitochondrial electron transport chain. It might also stimulate the fifth complex (R).
SIRT3 results in increased NADPH increased reduced glutathione in mitochondria (means it’s charged and ready to combat free radicals), and decreased DNA damage in the ear (cochlea) and in other tissues.
SIRT3 decreases the synthesis of proteins in the mitochondria (by decreasing the activity of the ribosomal protein MRPL10) (R).
Technical: SIRT3 activates/increases: AceCS2, HMGCS2 (ketogenesis), GDH (converts glutamate to alpha-ketoglutarate), SDH, Ku70, MnSOD, FOXO3a, cyclophilin D (stop mPTP), H3-K56 (causing increased gene expression),ornithine transcarbamoylase (OTC -a rate-limiting enzyme in the urea cycle), NDUFA9 (complex I), ICDH2 (promotes regeneration of antioxidants and catalyzes the citric acid cycle) (R)….SIRT3 Suppresses: p53, MRPL10 (R), Skp2 (R)
Natural Ways to Increase SIRT3
- Calorie restriction (R)
- Cold (R)
- Exercise (R)
- Estrogen/Estrogen-related receptor alpha (R)
- Nicotinamide Riboside (R)
- PQQ (R)
- Lipoic Acid (R)
- Resveratrol (R)
- Berberine (R)
- Bitter melon (R)
- EGCG (R, R2) – but EGCG decreases SIRT3 in cancer cells (good) (R)
- Oroxylin A/Chinese Skullcap (R),
- Leucine (R),
- HMB (R),
- ALCAR (R),
- Hydrogen Peroxide (R)
- Dan shen (Salvianolic acid A) (R),
- Kaempferol (R)
- Areca nut (keratinocytes) (R)
- Caffeic acid prevented decreased SIRT3 in liver injury model (R)…Chlorogenic acid/Green Coffee Extract also has caffeic acid.
What Inhibits SIRT3
The SIRT3 gene has a few SNPs from 23andme:
SIRT3 Can Contribute to Cancer
SIRT3 and the hallmarks of cancer. SIRT3 can link to six hallmarks of cancer, such as resisting cell death, genomic instability, and mutation, sustaining proliferative signaling, dysregulation of cellular energetics, tumor-promoting inflammation and invading growth suppressors (R).
Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
At SelfHacked, it’s our goal to offer our readers all the tools possible to get optimally healthy. When I was struggling with chronic health issues I felt stuck because I didn’t have any tools to help me get better. I had to spend literally thousands of hours trying to read through studies on pubmed to figure out how the body worked and how to fix it.
That’s why I decided to create tools that will help others cut down the guesswork:
- Lab Test Analyzer – a software tool that will analyze your labs and tell you what the optimal values are for each marker — as well as provide you with actionable tips and personalized health and lifestyle recommendations to help you get there.
- SelfDecode – a software tool that will help you analyze your genetic data from companies such as 23andme and ancestry. You will learn how your health is being impacted by your genes, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage.
- SelfHacked Secrets – an ebook where we examine and explain the biggest overlooked environmental factors that cause disease. This ebook is a great place to start your journey if you want to learn the essential steps to optimizing your health.
- SelfHacked Elimination Diet course – a video course that will help you figure out which diet works best for you
- Selfhacked Inflammation course – a video course on inflammation and how to bring it down
- Biohacking insomnia – an ebook on how to get great sleep
- Lectin Avoidance Cookbook – an e-cookbook for people with food sensitivities
- BrainGauge – a device that detects subtle brain changes and allows you to test what’s working for you
- SelfHacked VIP – an area where you can ask me (Joe) questions about health topics
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?