Semax is a medication used for the prevention and treatment of circulatory disorders in Russia and is also used as a cognitive enhancer. Read below to find out about the proven benefits of this substance. In addition, we have provided free bonus content, you can receive the first chapter of the SelfHacked Secrets book by clicking here. To purchase the whole SelfHacked Secrets book and discover all the amazing cognitive and health enhancers my clients and I have been using with great results click here.
- Health Benefits of Semax
- Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
Semax is a peptide drug based on a fragment of adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH) [R].
In Russia, Semax is used as a medication for the prevention and treatment of circulatory disorders including stroke [R]. Semax is listed on the Russian List of Vital & Essential Drugs, a reference of key medications which is reviewed and approved by the Russian government [R].
Semax is also used as a nootropic, or cognitive enhancer, due to evidence that Semax can enhance memory performance and reduce the negative effects of stress.
Health Benefits of Semax
1) Semax Prevents Oxidative Damage
Semax has been shown to protect the body and brain from various types of oxidative damage.
In animal studies, Semax has been shown to prevent oxidative damage caused by the poisonous effects of lead exposure in the brain [R].
Semax has been shown to prevent the oxidative liver damage which occurs with chronic stress in lab animals [R].
2) Semax Improves Memory
Some researchers have suggested that the resistance to oxidative damage in the brain and improved brain circulation might explain the improved memory seen in these subjects [R].
3) Semax Improves Circulation
Semax can be used in the treatment of ischemic stroke in patients. In rats, it is capable of protecting the heart from damage after a stroke or heart attack [R].
The drug partially prevents high blood pressure growth in the heart, thus exerting a beneficial effect on heart failure development after a heart attack [R].
A major risk factor for stroke is chronically poor circulation in the brain, a condition medically known as cerebrovascular insufficiency [R]. Patients with different stages of cerebrovascular insufficiency saw significant stabilization of the disease progress and reduced the risk of stroke when treated with Semax in one study [R]. Researchers attributed the improvement in part to the improvement in circulation.
4) Semax Decreases Negative Effects of Stress
Semax has been shown to decrease the negative physical and mental responses to stress in animal studies.
Semax normalized behavioral changes associated with increased stress resulting from physical injury [R]. Semax also normalized behavioral changes associated with increased stress due to developmental problems in animals [R].
5) Semax Increases BDNF
Semax increases the brain levels of a substance known as the brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) [R].
BDNF is a major chemical factor that is essential for cognitive development, synaptic plasticity, and neuronal survival [R] . Studies indicate that low levels of BDNF may cause or worsen depression and anxiety [R]. By increasing the level of BDNF, Semax could help alleviate anxiety and depression. Animal studies have also indicated that Semax normalizes behavior associated with increased stress and anxiety, possibly as a result of this mechanism [R].
In a study of patients recovering from the stroke, Semax improved restoration of nerve function in subjects relative to those that did not receive the same treatment [R]. This improvement in nerve function may be a result of the increase in BDNF.
6) Semax May Help Alleviate Pain
Semax prevents the breakdown of chemicals called enkephalins which regulate the response to pain [R]. An increase in enkephalins may reduce the severity of perceived pain.
7) Semax May Help Treat ADHD
Semax has a number of effects that may be helpful in the treatment of ADHD, including memory improvement and the increase of neurotransmitters which are often lower in patients with this condition [R].
Researchers have proposed evaluating Semax as a treatment for ADHD, and anecdotes support that Semax is occasionally used in Russia for this purpose [R]. Additional study is needed to determine if there is a reliable benefit when Semax is used for this purpose and to find what the best administration dosage and strategy would be to achieve these benefits if they occur.
- Semax increases the striatal release of dopamine and serotonin [R].
- Semax increases brain BDNF levels [R].
- Semax prevents the degradation of enkephalins by inhibiting the molecule responsible for their breakdown. [R].
- Semax protects the nervous system from oxidative damage [R].
- Semax affects the expression of genes related to the immune and vascular systems during stroke [R].
Semax is not FDA approved, and has not been evaluated by the FDA.
One study using a high concentration of Semax found that it had an anti-oxidant effect at low dosages, but a pro-oxidant effect at higher dosages [R]. Another study using various dosages found that each dosage studied had antioxidant effects [R]. More research may be needed to determine if there is a negative effect associated with high dosages, and at what dosage that effect occurs if so.
Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
At SelfHacked, it’s our goal to offer our readers all the tools possible to get optimally healthy. When I was struggling with chronic health issues I felt stuck because I didn’t have any tools to help me get better. I had to spend literally thousands of hours trying to read through studies on pubmed to figure out how the body worked and how to fix it.
That’s why I decided to create tools that will help others cut down the guesswork:
- Lab Test Analyzer – a software tool that will analyze your labs and tell you what the optimal values are for each marker — as well as provide you with actionable tips and personalized health and lifestyle recommendations to help you get there.
- SelfDecode – a software tool that will help you analyze your genetic data from companies such as 23andme and ancestry. You will learn how your health is being impacted by your genes, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage.
- SelfHacked Secrets – an ebook where we examine and explain the biggest overlooked environmental factors that cause disease. This ebook is a great place to start your journey if you want to learn the essential steps to optimizing your health.
- SelfHacked Elimination Diet course – a video course that will help you figure out which diet works best for you
- Selfhacked Inflammation course – a video course on inflammation and how to bring it down
- Biohacking insomnia – an ebook on how to get great sleep
- Lectin Avoidance Cookbook – an e-cookbook for people with food sensitivities
- BrainGauge – a device that detects subtle brain changes and allows you to test what’s working for you
- SelfHacked VIP – an area where you can ask me (Joe) questions about health topics
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?