Chromium is a mineral that helps regulate insulin in the body. It can improve the immune system and brain function, helps increase weight loss, and has other health benefits. Read more below to learn about this mineral.
Chromium is not what your doctor would usually test, even though it can tell you a lot about your health. However, you can request it from your doctor and plug your test results into Lab Test Analyzer. You will find all the information you need about your chromium values, such as if your levels are optimal. And if they are not, it will tell you how to get there, using evidence-based lifestyle, diet, and supplement tips.
- The Chromium That I Recommend
- Health Benefits of Chromium
- 1) Chromium Helps Improve Diabetes Symptoms
- 2) Chromium Improves Immune System Function
- 3) Chromium Improves Brain Function
- 4) Chromium Helps Weight Loss
- 5) Chromium Lowers Cholesterol
- 6) Chromium Improves Hormone Levels
- 7) Chromium Protects Bone Health
- 8) Chromium Improves Women’s Health
- 9) Chromium Reduces Inflammation
- Irregular Chromium Levels?
Trivalent chromium is safe for human consumption. The nutritional benefits of this version are considered to outweigh any potential risks (R).
However, another form called hexavalent chromium is a known carcinogen of the stomach and lungs (R).
The Chromium That I Recommend
Health Benefits of Chromium
1) Chromium Helps Improve Diabetes Symptoms
Chromium has been found to increase the body’s tolerance for glucose (R).
In patients with type 2 diabetes, Chromium (Cr) picolinate supplements have been shown to control the accumulation of body fat (R).
In a group of elderly patients with type 2 diabetes, supplements helped these individuals control their blood sugar and lowered the amount of fat in their blood (R).
2) Chromium Improves Immune System Function
An allergy test for the mineral can detect a chemical that is present in the immune response (R).
For patients living with HIV, chromium supplements helped with the side effects of anti-retroviral medication (R).
3) Chromium Improves Brain Function
A study done on older adults at risk for cognitive decline found that the supplement Chromium picolinate can improve memory (R).
In patients with depression, these supplements also decreased carbohydrate craving, improved eating habits and benefited mood (R).
4) Chromium Helps Weight Loss
5) Chromium Lowers Cholesterol
Hamsters given a combination of grape seed extract and Niacin-bound Cr was shown to decrease the total amount of bad cholesterol, repair the damage to cells, and helped repair the buildup of fatty plaques (R).
6) Chromium Improves Hormone Levels
Chromium supplementation reduced the amount of stress hormone in the blood of cows (R).
In pigs, it helped normalize the metabolic effects of administered hormones (R).
7) Chromium Protects Bone Health
Mineral extracts cause the release of cell signaling compounds that favor bone resorption (R).
In postmenopausal women, Chromium Picolinate supplements reduced bone reabsorption and may have some helpful effects on bone density (R).
8) Chromium Improves Women’s Health
In women with polycystic ovary syndrome, a Cr supplement improved acne, decreased levels of proteins associated with heart disease, and increased the body’s ability to deal with harmful free radicals (R).
9) Chromium Reduces Inflammation
Treatments with chromium in mice reduced the inflammatory response (R).
- Additionally, salinity and Cr enhanced antioxidant enzymes activities like catalase(CAT), guaiacol peroxidase (GPX) and sodium content in leaves (R).
- Also, a combination of IH636 grape seed proanthocyanidin extract (GSPE) and a niacin-bound Cr (NBC) can decrease total cholesterol, LDL and oxidized LDL levels in hypercholesterolemic human subjects (R).
- GSPE alone and in combination with NBC exerted a pronounced effect on the cholesterol, and triglyceride levels. Also,oxidative lipid damage as demonstrated by the formation of thiobarbituric acid reactive substances (TBARS) (R).
- It also increases insulin binding to cells, insulin receptor number and activates insulin receptor kinase leading to increased insulin sensitivity (R).
- CrPic produced improvement on the following HAM-D-29 items: appetite increase increased eating, carbohydrate craving, and diurnal variation of feelings (R).
- However, LPS-induced the increases in TNFα, IL6, Interleukin-1α (IL1α), Interleukin-1β (IL1β), inducible nitric oxide synthase (iNOS), and cyclooxygenase-2 (COX2) mRNA levels. Cr for 3, 6, and 12 h helped this effect (R).
Irregular Chromium Levels?
If you have not yet tested your chromium levels, I recommend that you ask your doctor to do it. If you already have your blood test results and you’re not sure what to make of them, you need to check out Lab Test Analyzer. It does all the heavy lifting for you. No need to do thousands of hours of research on what to make of your various blood tests.
People don’t realize that their blood test results contain a gold mine of information that’s waiting to be unearthed. Unfortunately, not everyone has the time or the inclination to sift through dozens of research papers.
It’s super-simple, so that even if you don’t have any background in science, you will understand what your results mean and what you can do to get them in the optimal range.
Lab Test Analyzer gives you up-to-date scientific information about your lab results. In addition, you will get both lifestyle tips and natural solutions to help you optimize your health. You can also rely on our science-based Optimal Ranges to prevent potential health issues and maximize your overall well-being.
All of the content is backed by science and researched by a team of PhDs, professors, and scientists.
We’re all unique, so we deserve solutions that treat us that way.
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?