Disclaimer: This post is currently being reviewed because it does not fit our standards for quality.
Gonadotropin-releasing hormone stimulates the release of FSH and LH. It helps keep hormone levels stable as well as having health benefits. Read more below to learn about this hormone.
- Health Benefits of GnRH
- Side Effects
- Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
It is important to control sperm production in males and egg release (ovulation) in women. GnRH levels are very low before puberty; however, as puberty approaches, GnRH levels increase to prepare for sexual maturity [R].
GnRH is produced in the hypothalamus. Too little GnRH can lead to underdevelopment of the testes or ovaries, resulting in infertility. Treatments with GnRH and its variants can be used in humans, as well as animals [R].
Health Benefits of GnRH
1) Gonadotropin-releasing Hormone Fights Cancer
In mice, a vaccine containing GnRH may help delay prostate cancer and slow tumor growth [R].
GnRH antagonist therapies are a good treatment option for patients with prostate cancer [R].
In prostate cancer patients treated with a GnRH medication, body image did not significantly worsen [R].
Chemotherapy affects fertility; GnRH treatment during chemotherapy helps protect gonadal function [R].
2) Gonadotropin-releasing Hormone Increases Fertility
In cows, GnRH treatment may benefit reproductive efficiency by increasing the pregnancy rate when using artificial insemination [R].
In Holstein cows, GnRH improved the efficiency of embryo production during early lactation [R].
GnRH can also help to avoid ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome, and patients had a higher clinical pregnancy rate [R].
In dairy cows, GnRH can be used as a treatment option for cows with ovarian cysts [R].
In mice with polycystic ovary syndrome, GnRH can restore ovulation [R].
3) Gonadotropin-releasing Hormone Relieves Problems with Puberty
GnRH, which suppresses puberty, can effectively help gender dysphoric adolescents by reducing testicular volume in males and breast development in females [R].
A GnRH analog treatment helped reduce the number of seizures in a 7-year-old girl with precocious puberty [R].
4) Gonadotropin-releasing Hormone Reduces Pain
GnRH in addition to progesterone-estrogen therapy is effective in pelvic pain relief after surgery [R].
In Spanish girls with precocious puberty, GnRH therapy increased BMI than girls without GnRH therapy [R].
GnRH antagonist and GnRH agonist treatments are associated with ectopic pregnancies (where the embryo implants outside the uterus) [R].
GnRH during assisted reproductive technology cycles causes inflammation, which may cause flare-ups in women with inflammatory conditions [R].
Treatment with GnRH analogs may cause severe dysmotility, a condition where the muscles in the gastrointestinal tract stop functioning correctly, causing digestion to become impaired [R].
For the treatment of advanced prostate cancer in male patients, GnRH treatment-related severe cardiovascular side effects were higher than degarelix treatment [R].
- Human stem cells can differentiate into GnRH-producing cells, which can benefit research about GnRH and its relationship with puberty [R].
- We obtained 24 (52.1%) ongoing clinical pregnancies. None of the patients developed OHSS [R].
- GnRHa treatment caused a decrease in testicular volume in 43 of 49 male-to-female subjects. In one of four female-to-male subjects who presented at Tanner breast stage 2, breast development completely regressed [R].
- Gonadotropins and sex steroid levels suppressed within 3 months [R].
- Visual analog scale pain score decreased significantly for both treatments [R].
Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
At SelfHacked, it’s our goal to offer our readers all the tools possible to get optimally healthy. When I was struggling with chronic health issues I felt stuck because I didn’t have any tools to help me get better. I had to spend literally thousands of hours trying to read through studies on pubmed to figure out how the body worked and how to fix it.
That’s why I decided to create tools that will help others cut down the guesswork:
- Lab Test Analyzer – a software tool that will analyze your labs and tell you what the optimal values are for each marker — as well as provide you with actionable tips and personalized health and lifestyle recommendations to help you get there.
- SelfDecode – a software tool that will help you analyze your genetic data from companies such as 23andme and ancestry. You will learn how your health is being impacted by your genes, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage.
- SelfHacked Secrets – an ebook where we examine and explain the biggest overlooked environmental factors that cause disease. This ebook is a great place to start your journey if you want to learn the essential steps to optimizing your health.
- SelfHacked Elimination Diet course – a video course that will help you figure out which diet works best for you
- Selfhacked Inflammation course – a video course on inflammation and how to bring it down
- Biohacking insomnia – an ebook on how to get great sleep
- Lectin Avoidance Cookbook – an e-cookbook for people with food sensitivities
- BrainGauge – a device that detects subtle brain changes and allows you to test what’s working for you
- SelfHacked VIP – an area where you can ask me (Joe) questions about health topics
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?