Grapefruit seed extract is full of nutrients and is a great source of antioxidants. It also contains vitamins and minerals that help keep you healthy. Read more below to find about the health benefits that grapefruit seed extract can provide.
- Introduction – What is Grapefruit Extract?
- GrapefruitSeed Extract That I Recommend
- The Benefits of Grapefruit Seed Extract
- Negative Effects of Grapefruit Extract
- Buy Grapefruit Seed Extract
- Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
Introduction – What is Grapefruit Extract?
Grapefruit seed extract is a liquid extract derived from the seeds, pulp, and white membranes of grapefruit. The extract is made by grinding the grapefruit and juiceless pulp and mixing it with glycerin (R). It is sold as a food supplement as well as being used in cosmetics due to its antimicrobial properties (R).
GrapefruitSeed Extract That I Recommend
The Benefits of Grapefruit Seed Extract
1) Grapefruit Seed Extract as an Antimicrobial
Grapefruit Seed Extract has strong antimicrobial activity against both gram-positive and negative bacteria [R2].
Grapefruit Seed Extract which immediately reduced pathogen levels in a beef model of E Coli [R3].
An alcohol extract of grapefruit seed exhibited the strongest antimicrobial effect against Salmonella enteritidis and exhibited various antimicrobial effects against other strains [R4].
Grapefruit Seed Extract has antimicrobial properties against gram-positive and gram-negative bacteria by disrupting the membranes of bacteria [R5].
2) Grapefruit Seed Extract and Gastric Lesions
3) Grapefruit Seed Extract as an Antifungal
Yeast cells can have induced programmed cell death due to grapefruit seed extract. Grapefruit Seed Extract has strong antifungal properties and destroys the mitochondrial ribosomal protein which leads to the death of the yeast cells [R11].
4) Grapefruit Seed Extract as a Diabetes Treatment
Diabetic rats were used to determine the effect of Grapefruit Seed Extract and its lowering effect on glucose and lipids. Rats that were treated with the extract exhibited significant decreases in total cholesterol, total triglycerides, and low-density lipids, which was similar effects to the popular drug metformin [R14].
Rats were studied to determine Grapefruit Seed Extract’s effect on lowering blood glucose levels and lipids as well as decreasing cardiovascular disease risk factors. Rats that had received the extract had a reduced risk for cardiovascular disease. The extract may also be able to manage type-2 diabetes [R15].
5) Grapefruit Seed Extract and Pancreatic Damage
Rats with acute hemorrhagic pancreatitis induced by 30 min partial pancreatic ischemia (blood restriction) were treated with Grapefruit Seed Extract. When treated with the extract, pancreatitis decreased. Grapefruit Seed Extract reduced the pancreatitis-induced lipid peroxidation [R12].
6) Grapefruit Seed Extract as Mouthwash
Grapefruit seed extract can be used as mouthwash due to its antimicrobial properties. It is a good natural supplement to be used because it also exhibits direct action on host cells due to its antioxidant, immunoregulatory, analgesic, buffering, and healing properties [R13].
Negative Effects of Grapefruit Extract
1) Grapefruit Extract Negatively Affects Drug Interactions
The extract inhibits cytochrome P450 isozymes involved in drug metabolism. This can lead to a possible overdose and dose-dependent adverse effects. This can lead to serious dose-dependent adverse effects (R).
2) Grapefruit Seed Extract Can Contain Synthetics
The extract has synthetic disinfectants such as benzethonium or benzalkonium chloride. A study showed that 7 out of 9 specimens had these synthetic disinfectants (R).
The grapefruit seed extract sold in the stores is different than the natural seed extract (R).
- If taken in liquid form, about 10 drops in a cup of water, taken 3 times a day
- If in tablet form, 100-200mg taken 1-3 times a day.
Buy Grapefruit Seed Extract
Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
At SelfHacked, it’s our goal to offer our readers all the tools possible to get optimally healthy. When I was struggling with chronic health issues I felt stuck because I didn’t have any tools to help me get better. I had to spend literally thousands of hours trying to read through studies on pubmed to figure out how the body worked and how to fix it.
That’s why I decided to create tools that will help others cut down the guesswork:
- Lab Test Analyzer – a software tool that will analyze your labs and tell you what the optimal values are for each marker — as well as provide you with actionable tips and personalized health and lifestyle recommendations to help you get there.
- SelfDecode – a software tool that will help you analyze your genetic data from companies such as 23andme and ancestry. You will learn how your health is being impacted by your genes, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage.
- SelfHacked Secrets – an ebook where we examine and explain the biggest overlooked environmental factors that cause disease. This ebook is a great place to start your journey if you want to learn the essential steps to optimizing your health.
- SelfHacked Elimination Diet course – a video course that will help you figure out which diet works best for you
- Selfhacked Inflammation course – a video course on inflammation and how to bring it down
- Biohacking insomnia – an ebook on how to get great sleep
- Lectin Avoidance Cookbook – an e-cookbook for people with food sensitivities
- BrainGauge – a device that detects subtle brain changes and allows you to test what’s working for you
- SelfHacked VIP – an area where you can ask me (Joe) questions about health topics
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?