GSK3b inhibition is one my favorite pathways for enhancement.
- Introduction to GSK3B
- Benefits to GSK3B Inhibition
- Genetics and GSK3B
- Top GSK3 beta Inhibitors
- What Increases GSK3b
- Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
Introduction to GSK3B
GSK3B (Glycogen synthase kinase 3 beta) is an enzyme associated with energy metabolism, neuronal cell development, and body pattern formation [R].
Glycogen synthase kinase 3 (GSK-3) is an essential “brake” on many growth-signaling pathways including Wnt and insulin. GSK-3 has high activity in resting tissues and is inhibited upon cellular stimulation [R].
Benefits to GSK3B Inhibition
GSK3B inhibition may reduce the formation of amyloid plaques, a hallmark of Alzheimers. [R]
2) Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes
Glycogen synthase kinase-3 (GSK-3) has important roles in the regulation of glycogen synthesis, protein synthesis, gene transcription, and cell differentiation in various cell types [R].
Inhibitors of GSK3 have been demonstrated to have anti-diabetic effects in test tubes and animal models [R]
Overexpression and overactivity of GSK-3 in the muscle of rodent models of obesity and type 2 diabetic humans are associated with an impaired ability of insulin to activate glucose disposal and glycogen synthase [R].
In muscle, GSK3b inhibits glycogen synthesis. [R]
GSK3B promotes ovarian cancer cell proliferation and chemotherapy resistance [R].
Pancreatic cancer cells contain a pool of active GSK3B, and inhibition of GSK3B leads to decreased cancer cell proliferation and survival [R].
Colon cancer cell from patients have higher levels of GSK3B expression than their normal counterparts [R].
4) Mood: Depression and Anxiety
Elderly depressed patients had significantly higher GSK3B activity. Higher GSK3B activity were observed in patients with severe depressive episode and with cognitive impairment [R].
5) Inflammation and Pain
GSK3-β induces TLR-mediated excessive inflammatory responses in the gut [R].
Blockade of GSK3-β attenuates excessive proinflammatory TLR-mediated immune responses. GSK3-β inhibition therefore constitutes a promising therapeutic option for selectively reducing exaggerated intestinal immune reactions toward the luminal flora in inflammatory bowel disease [R].
Inhibitors of GSK3b stop neuroinflammation and pain [R].
Inhibition of GSK3β in cells leads to suppression of Toll-like receptor (TLR)-initiated proinflammatory cytokines from NfkB.
GSK3b increases NfkB [R].
6) Sociability and Resilience
GSK3 inhibition (hippocampus and striatum) increases resilience to defeat and decreases responsiveness to psychostimulants [R].
7) Nootropic Effects
GSK3 is critical for brain development and neuroplasticity, which appear to be interrelated and to mediate age-associated neurological diseases [R].
Specifically, GSK3 plays a pivotal role in controlling neuronal progenitor proliferation and establishment of neuronal polarity during development, and neuronal GSK3 function affect neuroplasticity throughout the lifespan [R].
GSK3 is proposed to be a therapeutic target for restoration of synaptic functioning and cognition [R].
GSK3β inhibition stimulates the regeneration of myelin forming cells and remyelination following chemically induced demyelination [R].
GSK3b inhibition stimulates axon regeneration in injured cortical connections [R].
Damaged axons in the adult central nervous system normally do not regenerate after lesion, largely because of the presence of growth inhibitory molecules at the scar [R].
Glycogen synthase kinase-3 inhibitors reverse deficits in long-term potentiation and cognition in fragile X mice [R].
Mice injected with cocaine (20 mg/kg, i.p) showed an increase in the activity of GSK3β in the caudate putamen.
GSK3b inhibitors produced significant dose-dependent reductions in cocaine-induced activity (R).
GSK3 activity status is regulated by the circadian clock and GSK3 feeds back to regulate the molecular clock amplitude in the Supra Chiasmatic Nucleus [R].
Glycogen synthase kinase 3 (GSK3) interacts with at least 5 core clock proteins and shows daily variation itself. Significant circadian rhythmicity of phosphorylated GSK3 (α and β) was observed in the SCN [R].
GSK3b increases Rev-erb-a, while helping to break down ARNTL/BMAL1, CLOCK and PER2 (R).
Genetics and GSK3B
SelfDecode has 7 SNPs related to the GSK3b gene that 23andme has.
Top GSK3 beta Inhibitors
- Curcumin (R)
- Quercetin (R)
- Luteolin (potent) (R)
- Apigenin (potent) (R)
- Cinnamon (R)
- Angelica Sinensis (R)
- Intranasal insulin (normalized high GSK3b in diabetic animals) (R)
What Increases GSK3b
Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
At SelfHacked, it’s our goal to offer our readers all the tools possible to get optimally healthy. When I was struggling with chronic health issues I felt stuck because I didn’t have any tools to help me get better. I had to spend literally thousands of hours trying to read through studies on pubmed to figure out how the body worked and how to fix it.
That’s why I decided to create tools that will help others cut down the guesswork:
- Lab Test Analyzer – a software tool that will analyze your labs and tell you what the optimal values are for each marker — as well as provide you with actionable tips and personalized health and lifestyle recommendations to help you get there.
- SelfDecode – a software tool that will help you analyze your genetic data from companies such as 23andme and ancestry. You will learn how your health is being impacted by your genes, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage.
- SelfHacked Secrets – an ebook where we examine and explain the biggest overlooked environmental factors that cause disease. This ebook is a great place to start your journey if you want to learn the essential steps to optimizing your health.
- SelfHacked Elimination Diet course – a video course that will help you figure out which diet works best for you
- Selfhacked Inflammation course – a video course on inflammation and how to bring it down
- Biohacking insomnia – an ebook on how to get great sleep
- Lectin Avoidance Cookbook – an e-cookbook for people with food sensitivities
- BrainGauge – a device that detects subtle brain changes and allows you to test what’s working for you
- SelfHacked VIP – an area where you can ask me (Joe) questions about health topics
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?