In this podcast interview, Dr. Gundry exposes the dangerous truth behind lectins and how they relate to inflammation, autoimmune diseases, and obesity. Most importantly, he shares his vast experience and research on why lectins are so harmful to the body, and how to reverse the damages they cause.
Anyone who reads SelfHacked knows I am very ‘anti-lectin’ for people with autoimmune/inflammatory issues. Dr. Gundry, originally a very famous heart surgeon, discovered how dangerous lectins are and altered his career to help people reverse autoimmune disease through his matrix diet. He has completed the only human study related to lectins and is now the most knowledgeable on the subject. His second book “the Plant Paradox” is coming out on April 25th, 2017.
About Dr. Gundry
Dr. Gundry is internationally recognized as an inventor, researcher, and one of America’s top doctors.
He is a former researcher at Yale University and has held a director role numerous times including Head of the Division of Cardiothoracic Surgery. Dr. Gundry has written more than 200 articles and books about cardiac surgery, the nutritional reversal of heart disease, high cholesterol, diabetes, and hypertension.
In this podcast, Dr. Gundry exposes the dangerous truth behind lectins and how they relate to autoimmune disease. Most importantly, he shares his vast experience and research on why lectins are so harmful to the body, and how to reverse the damages they cause.
[1:59] Dr. Gundry’s opinion on gut health and its relationship to disease
[7:38] LPS (i.e. little pieces of shit)-what they are and how they hurt us
[10:25] What gut-healing protocols are missing
[15:55] Lectins and the cause of disease
[19:23] A new case study of autoimmune disease…and how all participant’s markers of inflammation returned to normal
[22:48] Is it possible to get rid of reactions to other non-lectin foods (nuts, seeds, fruits, etc.)?
[29:00] Preventing LPS from reaching the gut
[31:05] Resistant starch and other foods for our good bacteria
[32:36] Why pressure-cooked tomatoes are a ‘no’ food
[33:30] A recap of Dr. Gundry’s protocol
[34:40] 20% of food poisonings in the US according to the CDC…
[35:20] ‘A carb is not a carb’
[38:00] Tribes like Okinawan absorb a ‘high fat diet’ through short-chain fatty acids
[41:00] We should eat 0 of this food
[41:55] The oil with the highest amount of alpha-linoleic acid
[43:00] Roundup + meat
[45:47] The relationship between histamine intolerance and lectins
[47:10] Why eating only anti-inflammatory foods is like trying to douse a fire with a thimble of water
[49:27] My research on the cannabinoid receptor 1 gene in relationship to food sensitivities and autoimmunity
(see if you have this CNR1 gene using SelfDecode: our gene analysis company using data from 23andme)
[51:40] The player of Adiponectin
[54:40] Probiotics for restoring the gut, including one that grows hair in experimental animals
[57:55] How polyphenols change bacterial behavior
[1:01:07] The Keto-Plant Paradox Intensive Care
[1:04:00] Protein’s influence on MTOR, IGF-1, and glycoprotein
Anyone who reads SelfHacked knows I am very ‘anti-lectin’ for people with autoimmune/inflammatory issues. Dr. Gundry, originally a very famous heart surgeon, discovered how dangerous lectins are and altered his career to help people reverse autoimmune disease through his matrix diet. He has completed the only human study related to lectins and is now the most knowledgeable on the subject. His second book “the Plant Paradox” is coming out on April 25th.
For more resources:
Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
At SelfHacked, it’s our goal to offer our readers all the tools possible to get optimally healthy. When I was struggling with chronic health issues I felt stuck because I didn’t have any tools to help me get better. I had to spend literally thousands of hours trying to read through studies on pubmed to figure out how the body worked and how to fix it.
That’s why I decided to create tools that will help others cut down the guesswork:
- Lab Test Analyzer – a software tool that will analyze your labs and tell you what the optimal values are for each marker — as well as provide you with actionable tips and personalized health and lifestyle recommendations to help you get there.
- SelfDecode – a software tool that will help you analyze your genetic data from companies such as 23andme and ancestry. You will learn how your health is being impacted by your genes, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage.
- SelfHacked Secrets – an ebook where we examine and explain the biggest overlooked environmental factors that cause disease. This ebook is a great place to start your journey if you want to learn the essential steps to optimizing your health.
- SelfHacked Elimination Diet course – a video course that will help you figure out which diet works best for you
- Selfhacked Inflammation course – a video course on inflammation and how to bring it down
- Biohacking insomnia – an ebook on how to get great sleep
- Lectin Avoidance Cookbook – an e-cookbook for people with food sensitivities
- BrainGauge – a device that detects subtle brain changes and allows you to test what’s working for you
- SelfHacked VIP – an area where you can ask me (Joe) questions about health topics
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?