Black Cumin Oil is one of my favorite supplements. It seems to help many people with a diverse array of issues.
- Traditional Uses
- My Own Experiments
- The Black Cumin Seed Oil That I Use
- 1) Black Cumin Oil is an Anti-Oxidant
- 2) Black Seed is an Anti-Inflammatory
- 3) Black Cumin Oil is Anti-Anxiety and Anti-Depressant
- 4) Black Seed Extract Enhances Memory
- 5) Black Seed Helps Digestion
- 6) Black Cumin Seed Causes Weight Loss
- 7) Black Seed Protects the Gut
- 8) Black Cumin Oil Potently Fights Infections
- 9) Black Seed Oil Fights Histamine Intolerance and CIRS
- 10) Black Seed Boosts the Immune System
- 11) Anticancer Effects of Black Cumin Oil
- 12) Black Seed Can Protect Against Heart Disease
- 13) Black Cumin Seed Increases Testosterone
- 14) Black Cumin Helps Asthma, Rhinitis and Breathing
- 15) Black Seed is Anti-Diabetic
- 16) Black Cumin Seed is Neuroprotective
- 17) Black Cumin Seed is a Natural Pain Killer
- 18) Thymoquinone Helps Osteoporosis and Arthritis
- 19) Black Seed is Helpful For Eczema and Skin Conditions
- 20) Black Seed Protects the Kidneys and Prevents Kidney Stones
- 21) Black Cumin Oil is an Antiseptic
- 22) Black Cumin Oil For Male Fertility
- 23) Black Cumin Oil is Anti-Epileptic
- 24) Black Cumin Oil is Radio-Protective
- 25) Black Seed is Effective in the Treatment of Opioid Dependence
- 26) Black Cumin Helps Women Produce More Milk
- 27) Black Seed Suppresses Muscle Spasms
- Black Cumin Oil Synergies
- Nutritional Value of Black Seed
- Side Effects
- Molecular Targets
- Buying Black Cumin Seed Oil
- Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
Nigella sativa, commonly known as Black Cumin, Black Seed, or Black Cumin Seed is native to South Asia (R).
Black Cumin seed has been used in Middle Eastern folk medicine as a natural remedy for various diseases for over 2000 years (R).
Raw seeds, seed oil, or seed extract have been used alone or in combination with other ingredients, as a traditional medicine in the treatment of various health conditions, such as eczema, cough, headache, diabetes, asthma, infection, and hypertension (R).
Due to its miraculous power of healing, Black Cumin has got the place among the top-ranked evidence-based herbal medicines (R).
Most of the therapeutic properties of Black Cumin seed are due to the presence of Thymoquinone which is a major bioactive component (30%-48%) of the essential oil (R).
Black Cumin “stimulates the body’s energy” and helps recover from fatigue and “disspiritedness” (R).
Its immune system boosting properties serve as a natural, safe way to build resistance against illness (R).
My Own Experiments
I noticed Black Cumin oil was a potent anti-inflammatory the first time I took it a while back. Ever since I’ve always made sure to have it in stock.
The Black Cumin Seed Oil That I Use
1) Black Cumin Oil is an Anti-Oxidant
Black Cumin oil decreased the PTZ (Pentylenetetrazol) induced oxidative injury in the mouse brain tissue (R).
2) Black Seed is an Anti-Inflammatory
In mouse microglial cells, Thymoquinone significantly inhibited pro-inflammatory cytokines including IL-6, IL-1β, IL-12 (Th1 cytokine), Growth Colony Stimulating Factor (G-CSF), and pro-inflammatory chemokine’s such as MCP-5, IP-10, and MCP-1 (R).
3) Black Cumin Oil is Anti-Anxiety and Anti-Depressant
Black Cumin seed decreases the activity of the nervous system (R).
4) Black Seed Extract Enhances Memory
Black Cumin seed enhances memory, attention and cognition (R).
Black Cumin seed extract (500 mg) twice daily over the course of nine weeks in otherwise healthy elderly persons improved memory (R).
5) Black Seed Helps Digestion
Roasted Black seeds are given internally to stop vomiting (R).
6) Black Cumin Seed Causes Weight Loss
Black Cumin seed is traditionally recommended as an anti-obesity agent (R).
7) Black Seed Protects the Gut
8) Black Cumin Oil Potently Fights Infections
Black Cumin seed extract inhibited the growth of Staphylococcus aureus (R).
Black Cumin seed was effective against clinical isolates of MRSA (methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus) (R).
Gram negative isolates were more affected than the Gram positive ones (R).
Black Cumin seed (Thymohydroquinone and Thymoquinone) possessed significant anti-fungal activity (R).
The defensins (Ns-D1 and Ns-D2) displayed strong anti-fungal activity towards a number of phytopathogenic fungi (R).
Black Cumin seed has shown antiviral properties against infectious laryngotracheitis virus (R).
It’s effective against cytomegalovirus virus (CMV) in mice (R).
Black Cumin seeds may be a good therapeutic agent against Plasmodium infection in malaria (R).
Black Cumin oil may play a role against the alterations caused by S. mansoni infection in mice (R).
Black Cumin seeds are effective against Schistosoma mansoni, miracidia, cercariae, and adult worms (R).
9) Black Seed Oil Fights Histamine Intolerance and CIRS
10) Black Seed Boosts the Immune System
Oral ingestion of Black Cumin seeds improves the ability of macrophages to destroy invaders (R).
11) Anticancer Effects of Black Cumin Oil
Black Cumin oil exerts potent inhibitory effects on rat tumor development and cell proliferation (R).
Black Cumin seed (Thymoquinone) was effective in treating liver cancer in rats (R).
Black Cumin oil (Thymoquinone) has anti-tumor effects on bladder cancer (R).
Black Cumin seed (Thymoquinone) appears to be toxic towards cervical squamous carcinoma cells (SiHA) (R).
Black Cumin seed (Thymoquinone) shows effective anti tumor and anti-angiogenic activity in osteosarcoma (R).
Black Cumin oil showed a protective role in mammary carcinoma (R).
Black Cumin seed (Thymoquinone) induces killing of stomach cancer cells (R).
12) Black Seed Can Protect Against Heart Disease
Black Cumin seed (Thymoquinone) reduced hardening of the arteries from high cholesterol (R).
13) Black Cumin Seed Increases Testosterone
Rats given seed oil failed to significantly increase testosterone (R).
14) Black Cumin Helps Asthma, Rhinitis and Breathing
Boiled extract of the seeds was able to significantly improve all asthmatic symptoms (R).
Components of Black Cumin oil appear to have lung enhancing (bronchodilatory) properties (R).
Boiled extract of seeds was able to significantly improve respiratory function in chemical war victims with impaired respiratory function (R).
15) Black Seed is Anti-Diabetic
Black Cumin seed is highly recommended among practitioners of traditional medicine for treating diabetes.
Black Cumin oil has a significant activity in diabetic and high cholesterol patients (R).
16) Black Cumin Seed is Neuroprotective
Thymoquinone and other components of Black cumin seed may be neuroprotective (R).
An extract of Black Cumin seed displayed neuroprotective effects by decreasing the activity of the nervous system (R).
17) Black Cumin Seed is a Natural Pain Killer
Black Cumin seeds appear to have analgesic properties in mice (R).
18) Thymoquinone Helps Osteoporosis and Arthritis
Black Cumin oil (Thymoquinone) has shown potential anti-osteoporotic effects (R).
19) Black Seed is Helpful For Eczema and Skin Conditions
Black Cumin oil is effective in the treatment of worms and skin eruptions (R).
20) Black Seed Protects the Kidneys and Prevents Kidney Stones
Black Cumin seeds have been traditionally used for the treatment and prevention of kidney stones (R).
Evidence in rats suggest quite potent anti-kidney stone properties (R).
Black Cumin oil was effective against gentamycin kidney toxicity (R).
Seed extract had protective action against kidney injury (ischemia) (R).
21) Black Cumin Oil is an Antiseptic
Externally the Black cumin oil can prevent the spread of infections on the skin and also relieve pain (R).
22) Black Cumin Oil For Male Fertility
Black Cumin oil increased sperm motility, morphology and sperm concentration in mice (R).
Daily intake of 5 ml (1 tsp) of oil for two months improves abnormal semen quality in infertile men without any adverse effects (R).
23) Black Cumin Oil is Anti-Epileptic
Black Cumin oil (Thymoquinone) has anti-epileptic effects in children following oral ingestion (R).
24) Black Cumin Oil is Radio-Protective
Black Cumin oil is radio protective against immunosuppressive and oxidative effects of ionizing radiation (R).
25) Black Seed is Effective in the Treatment of Opioid Dependence
Black Seed is effective in long term treatment of opioid dependence (R).
It not merely cures the Opioid dependence, but also helps with the infections and weaknesses from which majority of addicts suffer (R).
26) Black Cumin Helps Women Produce More Milk
Traditionally, it was used to help increase milk production during breastfeeding in nursing mothers (R).
It is scientifically proven that Black Cumin seeds stimulate milk production in rats (R).
27) Black Seed Suppresses Muscle Spasms
Black Cumin Oil Synergies
Black Cumin seed (Thymoquinone) in combination with radiation was found to exert a synergistic cytotoxic effect against breast cancer cells (R).
Black Cumin seed (Thymoquinone) combined with gemcitabine reduced tumor weight to 85% (R).
Garlic Extract and Black cumin oil may be promising agents to complement schistosomiasis specific treatment (R).
Consumption of garlic extract and crude Black seeds may have a beneficial Antioxidant effect in healthy post menopausal women (R).
Black Cumin and Garlic together were effective in correction of high cholesterol (R).
The combination of Black Cumin oil and PYR (Pyrimethamine) had synergistic effect in treatment of toxoplasmosis (R).
2 gm/day of Black Cumin seed may be beneficial along with hypoglycemic agents in type 2 diabetic patients (R).
I use the oil and I recommend 1 tsp 2X daily for a 150 pound person.
Nutritional Value of Black Seed
- Contains monosaccharides in the form of glucose, rhamnose, xylose and arabinose (R).
- Contains a non-starch polysaccharide component which is a useful source of dietary fiber (R).
- Is rich in fatty acids particularly the unsaturated and essential fatty acids (Linolenic and Linoleic acid) (R).
- Contains Arginine which is essential for infant growth (R).
- Is also a source of Calcium, iron, sodium and potassium (R).
- Contains Carotene (converted by the Liver into Vitamin A) (R).
- Contains B-complex vitamins like Thiamin, Niacin and Folic acid (R).
- Is a good source of Pyridoxine (Vitamin B6) (R).
According to internet folklore, over 25 grams is toxic to humans.
Black Cumin oil and its constituents show vital effect in disease control without any toxic effect (R).
Treatment with Black Cumin oil (Thymoquinone) in advanced malignant cancer patients showed tolerated drug dose of up to 2600 mg/day (R).
Black Cumin seed is said to lower blood sugar levels, therefore a diabetic patient is advised to consult a physician before using (R).
- Decreases LOX (Lysyl Oxidase) (R).
- Inhibits iNOS (inducible Nitric oxide synthase) (R).
- Inhibition of NF-κB (NF-kappa B) (R).
- Activates PPAR-γ (Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor gamma) (R).
- Increases PTEN (Phosphatase and tensin homolog) (R).
- Increases BAK/BAX (R).
- Decreases Bcl-2 and Bcl-xL (R).
- Suppresses the expression of AR and E2F-1 (R).
- Increases the activity of Myeloperoxidase, Gluthathione-S-transferase, Adenosine deaminase (R).
- Increases enzymes like Superoxide dismutase (SOD), Catalase and Glutathione peroxidase (R).
- Increases GABA (Gama Amino Butyric Acid) activity (R).
Activity in Lungs and trachea
Buying Black Cumin Seed Oil
- Black Cumin Oil 8oz
Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
At SelfHacked, it’s our goal to offer our readers all the tools possible to get optimally healthy. When I was struggling with chronic health issues I felt stuck because I didn’t have any tools to help me get better. I had to spend literally thousands of hours trying to read through studies on pubmed to figure out how the body worked and how to fix it.
That’s why I decided to create tools that will help others cut down the guesswork:
- Lab Test Analyzer – a software tool that will analyze your labs and tell you what the optimal values are for each marker — as well as provide you with actionable tips and personalized health and lifestyle recommendations to help you get there.
- SelfDecode – a software tool that will help you analyze your genetic data from companies such as 23andme and ancestry. You will learn how your health is being impacted by your genes, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage.
- SelfHacked Secrets – an ebook where we examine and explain the biggest overlooked environmental factors that cause disease. This ebook is a great place to start your journey if you want to learn the essential steps to optimizing your health.
- SelfHacked Elimination Diet course – a video course that will help you figure out which diet works best for you
- Selfhacked Inflammation course – a video course on inflammation and how to bring it down
- Biohacking insomnia – an ebook on how to get great sleep
- Lectin Avoidance Cookbook – an e-cookbook for people with food sensitivities
- BrainGauge – a device that detects subtle brain changes and allows you to test what’s working for you
- SelfHacked VIP – an area where you can ask me (Joe) questions about health topics
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?