B. coagulans is a promising probiotic that can lower insulin levels, improve cholesterol, IBS, and arthritis. This bacterium was recently shown to stimulate muscle recovery in athletes.
- Health Benefits of B. coagulans
- 1) B. coagulans Decreases Insulin
- 2) B. coagulans Improves Blood Lipid Profile
- 3) B. coagulans is Beneficial in Diabetes
- 4) B. coagulans Enhances Muscle Recovery
- 5) B. coagulans Ameliorates Rheumatoid Arthritis
- 6) B. coagulans is Beneficial for the GI Tract
- 7) B. coagulans May Improve Feeding Tolerance in Infants
- 8) B. coagulans May Boost Immunity
- 9) B. coagulans Ameliorates Urogenital Infections
- Buy B. coagulans/L. sporogenes
- Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
Bacillus coagulans is a Gram-positive, spore-forming bacterium. It can also produce lactic acid and is therefore often misclassified as Lactobacillus sporogenes.
Health Benefits of B. coagulans
1) B. coagulans Decreases Insulin
B. coagulans containing symbiotic decreased blood insulin levels, HOMA-IR and HOMA-B in pregnant women [R].
2) B. coagulans Improves Blood Lipid Profile
B. coagulans containing a synbiotic reduced TAG, VLDL and elevated GSH levels in pregnant women [R].
3) B. coagulans is Beneficial in Diabetes
Similarly, consumption of the synbiotic bread with B. coagulans improved NO and MDA levels in T2D patients [R].
Synbiotic containing B. coagulans improved insulin, hs-CRP, uric acid and plasma total GSH levels in diabetic patients [R].
B. coagulans, inulin and beta-carotene coadministration decreased insulin, HOMA-IR, HOMA-B, triglycerides, VLDL-cholesterol levels and total-/HDL-cholesterol ratio. This treatment also elevated plasma nitric oxide (NO) and glutathione (GSH) [R].
4) B. coagulans Enhances Muscle Recovery
B. coagulans enhances protein absorption, and thereby indirectly improves recovery and training adaptations [R].
B. coagulans in combination with protein reduced muscle damage and soreness, improved recovery and maintained physical performance in athletes after strenuous exercise [R].
Increase in vertical jump power was noted following 8 weeks of full body workouts 4-times per week daily while ingesting B. coagulans [R].
5) B. coagulans Ameliorates Rheumatoid Arthritis
Adjunctive treatment with B. coagulans was safe and effective for patients suffering from rheumatoid arthritis. B. coagulans improved pain, improved self-assessed disability, reduced CRP levels, and improved the ability to walk 2 miles, reach, and participate in daily activities [R].
B. coagulans significantly inhibits fibrinogen (Fn), blood amyloid A and pro-inflammatory cytokine production in arthritic rats [R].
6) B. coagulans is Beneficial for the GI Tract
B. coagulans Beneficially Modifies Gut Microbiota
B. coagulans elevates beneficial bacteria (Faecalibacterium prausnitzii, Clostridium lituseburense, Bacillus spp. and Eubacterium rectale) levels in volunteers. This, in turn, results in elevated concentrations of butyrate, acetate, and propionate [R].
Daily consumption of B. coagulans in elderly increased populations of beneficial bacteria and anti-inflammatory cytokines [R].
B. coagulans spores beneficially modulate GI microbiota, by increasing lactic acid bacteria (LAB) and decreasing Enterobacteriaceae in rats [R].
B. coagulans decreased coliform counts and increased both Lactobacilli and Bacillus spore counts in rats [R].
B. coagulans Alleviates abdominal pain
B. coagulans + fructooligosaccharide (FOS) decreased abdominal pain duration and frequency in children with GI disorders [R].
B. coagulans synbiotic seems to be effective in the treatment of childhood functional abdominal pain [R].
B. coagulans significantly improved abdominal pain and the quality of life in adults with postprandial intestinal gas-related symptoms and no GI diagnoses [R].
B. coagulans Ameliorates Constipation
B. coagulans symbiotic effectively improved bowel movements and fecal properties in functionally constipated persons [R].
B. coagulans May Improve GI Inflammation
B. coagulans Ameliorates IBS
B. coagulans decreased bloating, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain and stool frequency and increased the quality of life in patients with diarrhea-predominant irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) [R, R, R, R].
A combination of simethicone and B. coagulans reduced bloating and discomfort in patients with IBS [R].
7) B. coagulans May Improve Feeding Tolerance in Infants
Preterm infants supplemented with B. coagulans had improved feeding tolerance [R].
8) B. coagulans May Boost Immunity
B. coagulans metabolites stimulate the maturation of antigen-presenting cells [R] and increase T-cell production of TNF-alpha in response to adenovirus exposure and influenza A exposure in healthy adults [R].
B. coagulans ameliorates parasite infection, hepatic and intestinal damage, in Schistosoma mansoni infected mice [R].
9) B. coagulans Ameliorates Urogenital Infections
B. coagulans reduced vaginosis symptoms in women when co-administered with antibiotics [R].
B. coagulans is safe for chronic human consumption [R]. Probiotics, in general, are considered safe but should be avoided in patients with organ failure, immunocompromised status, and dysfunctional gut barrier mechanisms.
Buy B. coagulans/L. sporogenes
Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
At SelfHacked, it’s our goal to offer our readers all the tools possible to get optimally healthy. When I was struggling with chronic health issues I felt stuck because I didn’t have any tools to help me get better. I had to spend literally thousands of hours trying to read through studies on pubmed to figure out how the body worked and how to fix it.
That’s why I decided to create tools that will help others cut down the guesswork:
- Lab Test Analyzer – a software tool that will analyze your labs and tell you what the optimal values are for each marker — as well as provide you with actionable tips and personalized health and lifestyle recommendations to help you get there.
- SelfDecode – a software tool that will help you analyze your genetic data from companies such as 23andme and ancestry. You will learn how your health is being impacted by your genes, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage.
- SelfHacked Secrets – an ebook where we examine and explain the biggest overlooked environmental factors that cause disease. This ebook is a great place to start your journey if you want to learn the essential steps to optimizing your health.
- SelfHacked Elimination Diet course – a video course that will help you figure out which diet works best for you
- Selfhacked Inflammation course – a video course on inflammation and how to bring it down
- Biohacking insomnia – an ebook on how to get great sleep
- Lectin Avoidance Cookbook – an e-cookbook for people with food sensitivities
- BrainGauge – a device that detects subtle brain changes and allows you to test what’s working for you
- SelfHacked VIP – an area where you can ask me (Joe) questions about health topics
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?