Disclaimer: This post is currently being reviewed because it does not fit our standards for quality.
Chinese Skullcap has been widely used for centuries in Traditional Chinese herbal medicine as an antiviral and antibacterial agent. It is also effective for Inflammation and Respiratory problems.
- Recommended Chinese Skullcap
- Health Benefits of Chinese Skullcap
- Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
Chinese Skullcap (Scutellaria Baicalensis), is a plant that belongs to the Mint family. It is also called ‘Baical Skullcap’ or ‘Huang Qin’ and used widely in Traditional Chinese medicine (R).
It is used to relieve the symptoms of nervous tension, including headaches, and some epileptics consider it an anti-convulsant. Research also suggests it has anti-cancer properties.
Baical Skullcap is a complex herb containing a number of active antioxidants and beneficial compounds. The most important of these is baicalin (R).
Recommended Chinese Skullcap
- Recommended: Honokiol and Magnolol
- Chinese Skullcap
Health Benefits of Chinese Skullcap
1) Chinese Skullcap Reduces Inflammation
Baicalin found in Baical skullcap has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties (R).
Experiments in rats show that baicalin is effective in reducing pain and discomfort (R).
Scutellaria baicalensis and black catechu (Acacia catechu) are effective in the management of chronic inflammatory disease Osteoarthritis (OA) in patients (R).
Mechanism: Anti-inflammatory action is through the dual inhibition of COX and LOX enzymes.
Baicalin may reduce the swelling of arthritis in human knees, but more research needs to be done on this.
2) Chinese Skullcap for the Treatment Of Respiratory Infections
A randomized single-blind trial in children showed that Baical skullcap (as a component of the herbal mixture Shuang Huang Lian) was effective in the treatment of acute bronchiolitis (R).
Its anti-inflammatory properties may soothe the air passages, helping suffering children feel better more quickly.
3) Chinese Skullcap Prevents Infections
Flavones isolated from skullcap roots inhibited HIV-1 (Human immunodeficiency virus) and HTLV-1 (human T-cell leukemia virus type 1) viruses (R).
Dried roots are effective against Staphylococci, cholera, dysentery, pneumococci and influenza virus (R).
Baicalin inhibits the ability of the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) to cause an infection (R).
However, it is best not to rely purely upon Chinese Skullcap for this and to take additional precautions in order to ensure safety from HIV/AIDS.
4) Chinese Skullcap May Prevent Cancer
The flavones (including baicalin) present within Skullcap root are strongly suspected to be potent anti-cancer agents, and could be hugely beneficial in the fight against cancer (R).
Flavones from skullcap might have growth inhibitory effects on prostate carcinoma (R).
S.baicalensis as a component of the Chinese herb complex (PC-SPES) is potentially active against advanced prostate cancer (R).
5) Chinese Skullcap May Prevent Miscarriage During Early Pregnancy
A combination of Skullcap root and Largehead Atractylodes rhizome is highly recommended for their benefits and survival of the fetus according to one Chinese study (R).
Baicalin does not interact positively with alcohol, lithium, diabetes medications, benzodiazepines, or statins.
It can cause drowsiness in some users, so is not advisable for people who operate heavy machinery or drive long distances.
- The flavones of Chinese skullcap show anti-tumor properties by their ability to scavenge oxidative radicals, reduce NF-kB activity, suppress COX-2 gene expression (R).
- Flavones of baical skullcap are potent anti-angiogenic compounds that reduce VEGF, bFGF, 12-lipoxygenase activity and MMP (R).
Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
At SelfHacked, it’s our goal to offer our readers all the tools possible to get optimally healthy. When I was struggling with chronic health issues I felt stuck because I didn’t have any tools to help me get better. I had to spend literally thousands of hours trying to read through studies on pubmed to figure out how the body worked and how to fix it.
That’s why I decided to create tools that will help others cut down the guesswork:
- Lab Test Analyzer – a software tool that will analyze your labs and tell you what the optimal values are for each marker — as well as provide you with actionable tips and personalized health and lifestyle recommendations to help you get there.
- SelfDecode – a software tool that will help you analyze your genetic data from companies such as 23andme and ancestry. You will learn how your health is being impacted by your genes, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage.
- SelfHacked Secrets – an ebook where we examine and explain the biggest overlooked environmental factors that cause disease. This ebook is a great place to start your journey if you want to learn the essential steps to optimizing your health.
- SelfHacked Elimination Diet course – a video course that will help you figure out which diet works best for you
- Selfhacked Inflammation course – a video course on inflammation and how to bring it down
- Biohacking insomnia – an ebook on how to get great sleep
- Lectin Avoidance Cookbook – an e-cookbook for people with food sensitivities
- BrainGauge – a device that detects subtle brain changes and allows you to test what’s working for you
- SelfHacked VIP – an area where you can ask me (Joe) questions about health topics
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?