D-ribose is a sugar involved in producing energy in the body and is also the structural basis of DNA and RNA. It is commonly used to help with heart disease and chronic fatigue syndrome. Read on to see how this sugar may be an effective treatment for these conditions and others.
- What Is D-Ribose?
- Health Benefits of D-Ribose Supplementation
- 1) D-Ribose May Treat Heart Disease and Improve Heart Health
- 2) D-Ribose Helps with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- 3) D-Ribose Replenishes Energy Reserves
- 4) D-Ribose Improves Muscular Strength
- 5) D-Ribose May Help with Restless Leg Syndrome
- 6) D-Ribose May Improve Symptoms of Adenylosuccinase Deficiency
- 7) D-Ribose May Treat Myoadenylate Deaminase Deficiency
- 8) D-Ribose May Protect the Kidneys
- 9) D-Ribose May Protect the Brain
- 10) D-Ribose May Improve Weight Loss
- 11) D-Ribose May Reduce Testicular Toxicity Caused by Aluminum
- Side Effects
- User Experiences
- Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
What Is D-Ribose?
D-ribose is a naturally occurring sugar present in all living cells. It is a key component in many biological pathways, but is most active in glycation (bonding between a sugar and a protein or fat molecule) [R].
D-ribose is also used to make nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) and flavin adenine dinucleotide (FAD), two important molecules involved in cellular respiration.
Health Benefits of D-Ribose Supplementation
1) D-Ribose May Treat Heart Disease and Improve Heart Health
Congestive heart failure is a condition in which heart muscles don’t pump blood as well as they should. In a study of 15 congestive heart failure patients (DB-RCT), D-ribose improved heart function [R].
2) D-Ribose Helps with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
A case study found that 5 grams of D-ribose taken twice daily with other medications reduced fibromyalgia symptoms, which returned after one week of stopping D-ribose supplementation [R].
3) D-Ribose Replenishes Energy Reserves
D-ribose enhances the recovery of energy reserves following inadequate blood supply to organs and tissues after high-intensity exercise [R].
4) D-Ribose Improves Muscular Strength
In a study of 24 bodybuilders (DB-RCT) 10 grams/day of D-ribose for 4 weeks significantly increased bench press strength [R].
5) D-Ribose May Help with Restless Leg Syndrome
D-ribose reduced daily symptoms, as well as their severity, in two male patients with restless leg syndrome [R].
6) D-Ribose May Improve Symptoms of Adenylosuccinase Deficiency
In a patient suffering from adenylosuccinase deficiency (severe dexterity/motor retardation), D-ribose consumption slightly improved behavior and reduced seizure frequency [R].
7) D-Ribose May Treat Myoadenylate Deaminase Deficiency
D-ribose successfully prevented all symptoms of myoadenylate deaminase deficiency in a 55 year-old patient [R].
8) D-Ribose May Protect the Kidneys
9) D-Ribose May Protect the Brain
D-ribose prevents the activation of pro-apoptotic (programmed cell death) genes in the hippocampus, demonstrating a neuroprotective effect in mice with irregular heart beat [R].
Adenylosuccinate lyase deficiency causes psychomotor deficiency, seizures, and autistic-like delay. In a 13-year-old female, motor coordination and seizure symptoms were controlled by several months of D-ribose therapy [R].
10) D-Ribose May Improve Weight Loss
Ribose increased gut motility in mice and increased energy expenditure, which decreases body weight [R].
11) D-Ribose May Reduce Testicular Toxicity Caused by Aluminum
D-ribose (in combination with L-cysteine) reduces testicular toxicity in aluminum-induced testicular damage in rats [R].
Clinical studies have used between 5 -15 g daily. When supplementing with 15 g it is advised to separate into three 5 g doses.
Hundreds of publicly run forums have taken a more personal approach on investigating successes/failures that people have had with D-ribose supplementation. Below are just a few positive and negative reviews that people have given on their personal experiences.
“I would give this a 10/10 for people looking to getting some energy back into their life. And one more thing, the general responsiveness to d-ribose seems to have a connection whether your body has little of it, some respond very well to ribose others don’t.”
“I began using D Ribose 3 weeks ago. The main benefit I have noticed is the elimination of heart palpitations… within several days they were noticeably less frequent, and after several weeks, they are gone.”
“Yes, I’ve been taking d ribose in powder form from Corvalen M (sold here at prohealth) for about 4 years. It has helped with fatigue and muscle pain. Like so many things, it’s not a cure all but I won’t go without it since I’ve learned that when I run out within 3 days I notice a big difference.”
“I have been taking D-Ribose for over a year. It helps reduce the weakness I always felt in my limbs. And every time I experiment with stopping it, my symptoms flared up again. It has helped with with the exhaustion aspect of fibro. I recommend giving it a try.”
“When I took D Ribose I used the powder and took 2 tbs three times per day, but not close to bedtime. It did help me some, could stand in the kitchen long enough to make dinner. The problem was that It is very, very expensive and the results are not that impressive.”
“I can’t use it. D-Ribose is made by converting glucose or corn sugar, into ribose by fermentation processes. Someone here said that it doesn’t affect hypoglycemia, but it affects me that way. Like I’ve eaten a lot of candy. I get a definite crash. It also gives me a headache. I wish I knew someone I could give my bottle to since it seems to work for some people. I have ME/CFS and have zero tolerance for anything that provides artificial “energy.” For example sugar, caffeine, Provigil, Ritalin, energy drinks, etc. I have viral onset CFS. I don’t know if our sub-sets make a difference in how we react to certain things.”
Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
At SelfHacked, it’s our goal to offer our readers all the tools possible to get optimally healthy. When I was struggling with chronic health issues I felt stuck because I didn’t have any tools to help me get better. I had to spend literally thousands of hours trying to read through studies on pubmed to figure out how the body worked and how to fix it.
That’s why I decided to create tools that will help others cut down the guesswork:
- Lab Test Analyzer – a software tool that will analyze your labs and tell you what the optimal values are for each marker — as well as provide you with actionable tips and personalized health and lifestyle recommendations to help you get there.
- SelfDecode – a software tool that will help you analyze your genetic data from companies such as 23andme and ancestry. You will learn how your health is being impacted by your genes, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage.
- SelfHacked Secrets – an ebook where we examine and explain the biggest overlooked environmental factors that cause disease. This ebook is a great place to start your journey if you want to learn the essential steps to optimizing your health.
- SelfHacked Elimination Diet course – a video course that will help you figure out which diet works best for you
- Selfhacked Inflammation course – a video course on inflammation and how to bring it down
- Biohacking insomnia – an ebook on how to get great sleep
- Lectin Avoidance Cookbook – an e-cookbook for people with food sensitivities
- BrainGauge – a device that detects subtle brain changes and allows you to test what’s working for you
- SelfHacked VIP – an area where you can ask me (Joe) questions about health topics
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?