Gynostemma is sometimes called ‘the herb of immortality.’ While it’s an exaggeration to claim that this supplement could make you immortal, it could make you feel that way by boosting the immune system, increasing energy, and reducing stress. Learn more about these benefits below.
- Benefits of Gynostemma
- 1) Gynostemma Fights Allergies
- 2) Gynostemma Is Neuroprotective
- 3) Gynostemma Supports Weight Loss
- 4) Gynostemma Improves Diabetic Symptoms
- 5) Gynostemma May Fight Cancer
- 6) Gynostemma Promotes Cardiovascular Health
- 7) Gynostemma Reduces Asthma Symptoms
- 8) Gynostemma Protects the Cells
- 9) Gynostemma Boosts Liver Function
- Gynostemma Use and Dosage
- Gynostemma Side Effects and Caution
- Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
Gynostemma (also called jiaogulan) has a long history of use in herbal medicine, where it is nicknamed the “immortality herb.” It is also called “poor man’s ginseng” due to providing similar benefits and costing less when compared to Panax (Asian) ginseng [R].
Additionally, gynostemma produces another type of beneficial compounds called gypenosides that also benefit the immune system, promote high energy levels, and provide cellular protection [R].
Benefits of Gynostemma
1) Gynostemma Fights Allergies
Gynostemma treatment lowers multiple inflammatory molecules associated with allergies in animal studies:
- Gynostemma stabilizes mast cells and reduces histamine production [R].
- Gynostemma reduces airway inflammation caused by Th2 cytokines [R, R].
- Gynostemma reduces the activation of inflammatory astrocytes [R].
2) Gynostemma Is Neuroprotective
Gynostemma extract protects brain cells from damage.
Moreover, gynostemma is being studied as part of a potential treatment for recovery from stroke [R].
Laboratory animals under excessive stress learn new skills more slowly. Treating stressed animals with gynostemma reduces these negative changes in learning rates [R].
Higher doses of the extract provided greater protection, which shows promise for a close relationship between supplementation and protection [R].
3) Gynostemma Supports Weight Loss
4) Gynostemma Improves Diabetic Symptoms
Supplementing gynostemma also improves insulin sensitivity by activating the energy sensor AMPK [R, R].
Regularly consuming tea made from gynostemma and hibiscus was associated with lower cholesterol in a small, uncontrolled study [R].
5) Gynostemma May Fight Cancer
Gynostemma extract reduced the spread of colon cancer in an animal model [R].
Chronic elevation of the Th2 system is a risk factor for developing breast cancer, colorectal cancer, and pancreatic cancer. Gynostemma may reduce this risk because it reduces excess Th2 inflammation [R, R, R].
6) Gynostemma Promotes Cardiovascular Health
Compounds in gynostemma extract help to maintain healthy blood flow and prevent excess arterial narrowing [R]. These compounds don’t widen arteries that are already open, which means gynostemma is less likely to cause unpleasant side effects like flushing and nasal congestion when compared with other drugs and supplements.
Gynostemma extract improves cellular energy levels and may aid recovery from exercise [R]. Patients who are exercising to increase their heart health could see results more quickly by using this supplement with an exercise routine as a result.
Gynostemma extract also helps prevent electrolyte imbalances which can strain the cardiovascular system [R].
7) Gynostemma Reduces Asthma Symptoms
The wheezing and shortness of breath in asthma is caused by blood vessels narrowing too much in the lungs. Gynostemma extract promotes proper blood vessel dilation and shows promise for preventing and treating asthma symptoms [R].
8) Gynostemma Protects the Cells
Gynostemma extract increased the levels of both beneficial immune cells and antioxidant enzymes in animal models of immune suppression [R].
Also, gynostemma extract neutralizes free radicals in cell studies [R].
Gynostemma is also an activator of AMPK, which also protects cells by boosting available energy [R, R]. These effects may contribute to the cellular protection observed in the studies.
9) Gynostemma Boosts Liver Function
Gynostemma extract supports healthy liver function in a variety of diseases.
It also prevents the growth of cancer cells, slowing disease progression [R].
Gynostemma extract protects from fatty liver disease caused by unhealthy diets that are high in fat and cholesterol [R].
Gynostemma extract also protects the liver during oxidative stress and inflammation [R]. This might in part result from the activation of AMPK, which protects cells by boosting available energy [R, R].
Gynostemma Use and Dosage
If you’re interested in a supplement that provides a full package approach to superior cognitive function and health, we recommend Qualia, which contains high quality Gynostemma and many other great brain boosting ingredients. Use the coupon code ‘selfhacked’ and get 10% off a 1 time order or 15% off of a recurring order.
Gynostemma leaves can be prepared and consumed as a tea. Gynostemma tea has been used in smaller studies as well as in traditional medicine.
A standardized extract delivers a higher concentration of the beneficial compounds, but there is not a well-controlled study to recommend the optimal dosage.
Gynostemma Side Effects and Caution
Gynostemma can increase blood flow, which can increase the side effects of other drugs or supplements that slow blood clotting.
Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
At SelfHacked, it’s our goal to offer our readers all the tools possible to get optimally healthy. When I was struggling with chronic health issues I felt stuck because I didn’t have any tools to help me get better. I had to spend literally thousands of hours trying to read through studies on pubmed to figure out how the body worked and how to fix it.
That’s why I decided to create tools that will help others cut down the guesswork:
- Lab Test Analyzer – a software tool that will analyze your labs and tell you what the optimal values are for each marker — as well as provide you with actionable tips and personalized health and lifestyle recommendations to help you get there.
- SelfDecode – a software tool that will help you analyze your genetic data from companies such as 23andme and ancestry. You will learn how your health is being impacted by your genes, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage.
- SelfHacked Secrets – an ebook where we examine and explain the biggest overlooked environmental factors that cause disease. This ebook is a great place to start your journey if you want to learn the essential steps to optimizing your health.
- SelfHacked Elimination Diet course – a video course that will help you figure out which diet works best for you
- Selfhacked Inflammation course – a video course on inflammation and how to bring it down
- Biohacking insomnia – an ebook on how to get great sleep
- Lectin Avoidance Cookbook – an e-cookbook for people with food sensitivities
- BrainGauge – a device that detects subtle brain changes and allows you to test what’s working for you
- SelfHacked VIP – an area where you can ask me (Joe) questions about health topics
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?