DHT is commonly associated with pubertal changes and baldness in men. However, DHT has various health benefits and is possibly effective in treating various diseases. Read more about the unknown effects of DHT here.
- What is DHT?
- What Is Good about DHT?
- 1) DHT Allows for the Normal Development of Males
- 2) DHT Can Help Control Blood-Sugar Levels
- 3) DHT Can Increase Memory
- 4) DHT Improves Sexual Function
- 5) DHT Promotes Heart Health
- 6) DHT Decreases Cancer Risk
- 7) DHT Increases Strength
- 8) DHT May Be Effective In Treating Autoimmune Diseases
- 9) DHT Maintains Healthy Cognitive Function
- 10) DHT Can Help Treat Anxiety & Depression
- 11) DHT May Be Pain-Relieving
- 12) DHT Promotes Bone Growth
- 6 DHT Side Effects
- How To Increase DHT
- How To Naturally Block DHT
- DHT on SelfDecode
What is DHT?
Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is a sex hormone created from testosterone in the body. It plays a major role in the development of characteristics that are typically associated with men (body hair, muscle growth, and a deep voice). DHT is critical to the development of the penis and prostate in men. DHT is a much more powerful hormone than testosterone and plays a major role in male-pattern baldness.
What Is Good about DHT?
1) DHT Allows for the Normal Development of Males
Men with an enzyme (5-AR) deficiency are unable to make DHT from testosterone and have reduced development and function of the prostate, penis, and testicles.
DHT created in the body activates androgen receptors (AR). Working AR receptors are needed for sexual differentiation during fetal development and changes in males during puberty. It is also necessary for maintaining a sex drive in men (R).
2) DHT Can Help Control Blood-Sugar Levels
DHT enhances the ability for the body to lower blood sugar levels and could possibly reduce type 2 diabetes in males as seen in a study of mice (R).
3) DHT Can Increase Memory
Men between the ages of 34 and 70 years showed improvements in memory when treated with DHT skin-patches (R).
4) DHT Improves Sexual Function
It was also found that women with higher levels of free DHT in the blood had a normal sex drive compared to women with lower levels (R).
DHT was found to be the main hormone to prevent erectile dysfunction in rats (R).
5) DHT Promotes Heart Health
Higher levels of DHT were associated with lower amounts of fat deposits on the hearts of men with coronary artery disease (CAD) (R).
Elderly men with higher levels of DHT were seen to have lower death rates from heart disease (R).
6) DHT Decreases Cancer Risk
DHT was shown to restrain thyroid cell growth but not function, thus serving as a potential treatment for thyroid cancer (R).
There is evidence for the association between low levels of DHT in the body and a decreased survival rate for prostate cancer (R).
Binding of DHT to receptors in the prostate produces factors that control the growth and function of prostate cells (R).
7) DHT Increases Strength
DHT levels found inside the muscles of women were correlated with the women’s strength and power (R).
8) DHT May Be Effective In Treating Autoimmune Diseases
DHT exerts control over prostate cells by preventing them from creating an autoimmune/inflammatory response in the body (R).
9) DHT Maintains Healthy Cognitive Function
Declining levels of DHT and other sex hormones in older men were found to be associated with declining cognitive function (R).
10) DHT Can Help Treat Anxiety & Depression
Testosterone’s anti-anxiety benefits were shown to be a result of the actions of DHT in the brain (R).
11) DHT May Be Pain-Relieving
12) DHT Promotes Bone Growth
DHT appeared to increase muscle mass in rats whose ovaries had been removed (R).
DHT helped boys born with reduced penile function (R).
6 DHT Side Effects
1) DHT Causes Male Pattern Baldness
A study found that a group of men with male pattern baldness had higher levels of DHT (R).
Higher levels of DHT were found in blood samples obtained from men with premature baldness (R).
2) Increased Levels of DHT Can Cause Prostate Cancer
DHT is critical for the normal development of the prostate, but it can also result in cancerous prostate growth (R).
DHT can still cause prostate cancer even if testosterone production is stopped via removal of the testicles (R).
3) DHT Increases the Risk of Breast Cancer
4) DHT May Increase Depression In Women
5) DHT May Increase the Spread of Acne
DHT may cause an increase in inflammatory acne (R).
6) DHT Can Cause a Male-like Hair Growth Pattern In Women
The application of finasteride, which inhibits DHT production was shown to be effective in treating women suffering from male-like hair growth (R).
How To Increase DHT
- Testosterone (R)
- Exercise (R)
- Creatine – Creatine increased DHT levels in a study of college-aged rugby players(R)
- Losing body fat (R)
- Sprinting (R)
- Green Tea (R)
- DHEA — DHEA raised levels of DHT in healthy, older women to levels higher than those found in young adults of either gender (R)
- Viagra (R)
- Caffeine (R)
- Dietary fat (R)
- Zinc (with meals) — Oral administration of zinc displayed higher levels of DHT in men (R)
- Tribulus (R)
- Diosgenin (R)
- Tongkat Ali (R)
How To Naturally Block DHT
- 5AR Inhibitors — 5AR Inhibitors like Finasteride and Dutasteride prevent testosterone from converting into DHT in the body (R)
- Testosterone Treatments — Testosterone treatments lowered DHT levels in elderly men with below-average testosterone levels and high DHT levels (R)
- EGCG (R)
- Zinc and Azelaic Acid — A combination treatment of zinc and azelaic acid was shown to reduce the creation of DHT in the body and could potentially serve as a treatment for damage caused to the skin by DHT (R, R)
- Black Tea (R)
- Lowering Caloric Intake (R)
- Flaxseeds (R)
- Fenugreek (R)
- Soy + Green Tea—A combination treatment of soy and green tea lowered DHT levels in mice (R)
- Curcumin (R, R)
- Red Ginseng (R, R)
- Reishi (R, R)
- Copper (high starch-based diet- do not supplement) (R)
- Nettle Root (R)
- PUFAs-especially GLA
- GLA – gamma-linolenic acid and myristoleic acid (R)
- Vitamin B2 (from diet) (R)
- Saw Palmetto (R)
- Pumpkin Seed Oil (R)
- Amla (R)
These are products that only inhibit the effects of DHT.
- Chyawanprash — Contains certain tannins and omega-6 fatty acids, which are anti-inflammatory and protect hair (R)
- Berberine (with meals) (R)
- Fo-Ti (R)
- Black pepper — contains piperine, which has been shown to inhibit androgens like testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (R)
- Andrographis (R)
DHT on SelfDecode
rs7594951 is a SNP that influences the metabolism of DHT.
AA = more prone to having higher blood levels of DHT (R). (not found on 23andme)
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?