DHT is commonly associated with pubertal changes and baldness in men. However, DHT has various health benefits and is possibly effective in treating various diseases.
DHT is not what your doctor would usually test, even though it can tell you a lot about your health. However, you can request it from your doctor and plug in your test results into Lab Test Analyzer, and you will find all the information you need about your DHT values, such as if your levels are optimal. And if they are not, it will tell you how to get there, using evidence-based lifestyle, diet, and supplement tips.
- What is DHT?
- What Is Good about DHT?
- 1) DHT Allows for the Normal Development of Males
- 2) DHT Can Help Control Blood-Sugar Levels
- 3) DHT Can Increase Memory
- 4) DHT Improves Sexual Function
- 5) DHT Promotes Heart Health
- 6) DHT Decreases Cancer Risk
- 7) DHT Increases Strength
- 8) DHT May Be Effective In Treating Autoimmune Diseases
- 9) DHT Maintains Healthy Cognitive Function
- 10) DHT Can Help Treat Anxiety & Depression
- 11) DHT May Be Pain-Relieving
- 12) DHT Promotes Bone Growth
- 6 DHT Side Effects
- How To Increase DHT
- How To Naturally Block DHT
- DHT on SelfDecode
- Irregular DHT Levels?
What is DHT?
Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is a sex hormone created from testosterone in the body. It plays a major role in the development of characteristics that are typically associated with men (body hair, muscle growth, and a deep voice). DHT is critical to the development of the penis and prostate in men. DHT is a much more powerful hormone than testosterone and plays a major role in male-pattern baldness.
What Is Good about DHT?
1) DHT Allows for the Normal Development of Males
Men with an enzyme (5-AR) deficiency are unable to make DHT from testosterone and have reduced development and function of the prostate, penis, and testicles.
DHT created in the body activates androgen receptors (AR). Working AR receptors are needed for sexual differentiation during fetal development and changes in males during puberty. It is also necessary for maintaining a sex drive in men (R).
2) DHT Can Help Control Blood-Sugar Levels
DHT was found to be a potential treatment for those with diabetes and hyperglycemia by controlling the pathway for sugar in the body (R).
DHT enhances the ability for the body to lower blood sugar levels and could possibly reduce type 2 diabetes in males as seen in a study of mice (R).
Application of DHEA to rats increased levels of DHT and was shown to provide benefits for insulin-sensitivity, weight, and body fat (R).
3) DHT Can Increase Memory
Men between the ages of 34 and 70 years showed improvements in memory when treated with DHT skin-patches (R).
4) DHT Improves Sexual Function
DHT can improve sexual ability in men regardless of factors like age and obesity (R).
DHT and testosterone are necessary to maintain a healthy sex drive in men (R).
It was also found that women with higher levels of free DHT in the blood had a normal sex drive compared to women with lower levels (R).
DHT was found to be the main hormone to prevent erectile dysfunction in rats (R).
5) DHT Promotes Heart Health
Higher levels of DHT were associated with lower amounts of fat deposits in the hearts of men with coronary artery disease (CAD) (R).
Lower levels of DHT and testosterone resulted in an increased risk for cardiovascular complications for men undergoing testosterone-lowering treatment for prostate cancer (R).
Observational data was obtained that suggested there is an ideal range for DHT levels in the body, that promotes against heart disease in elderly men (R).
Elderly men with higher levels of DHT were seen to have lower death rates from heart disease (R).
6) DHT Decreases Cancer Risk
Men with prostate cancer were found to have lower levels of DHT when compared to those with normal prostates (R).
DHT was shown to restrain thyroid cell growth but not function, thus serving as a potential treatment for thyroid cancer (R).
There is evidence for the association between low levels of DHT in the body and a decreased survival rate for prostate cancer (R).
Binding of DHT to receptors in the prostate produces factors that control the growth and function of prostate cells (R).
7) DHT Increases Strength
DHT levels found inside the muscles of women were correlated with the women’s strength and power (R).
8) DHT May Be Effective In Treating Autoimmune Diseases
Sex hormones including DHT were found to be useful in treating a potential autoimmune disease by changing the balance of signals involved in the immune response (R).
DHT was shown to be effective in lessening the effects of multiple sclerosis (MS) (R).
DHT exerts control over prostate cells by preventing them from creating an autoimmune/inflammatory response in the body (R).
9) DHT Maintains Healthy Cognitive Function
Declining levels of DHT and other sex hormones in older men were found to be associated with declining cognitive function (R).
10) DHT Can Help Treat Anxiety & Depression
Testosterone’s anti-anxiety benefits were shown to be a result of the actions of DHT in the brain (R).
The drug finasteride which lowers DHT levels in the blood was shown to possibly induce symptoms of depression in patients (R).
11) DHT May Be Pain-Relieving
DHT was shown to relieve pain caused by diabetes in rats (R).
12) DHT Promotes Bone Growth
DHT appeared to increase muscle mass in rats whose ovaries had been removed (R).
DHT was shown to be an important determinant in bone density and increased levels of DHT in the blood were associated with increased bone density in men (R).
DHT helped boys born with reduced penile function (R).
6 DHT Side Effects
1) DHT Causes Male Pattern Baldness
A study found that a group of men with male pattern baldness had higher levels of DHT (R).
Higher levels of DHT were found in blood samples obtained from men with premature baldness (R).
2) Increased Levels of DHT Can Cause Prostate Cancer
DHT is critical for the normal development of the prostate, but it can also result in cancerous prostate growth (R).
DHT can still cause prostate cancer even if testosterone production is stopped via removal of the testicles (R).
DHT enhanced the spread of prostate cancer cells (R).
3) DHT Increases the Risk of Breast Cancer
In the treatment of breast cancer cells with DHT, it was found that DHT increased the number of cancer cells and decreased the death rate of breast cancer cells (R).
4) DHT May Increase Depression In Women
Women being treated for major depression were found to have higher levels of DHT and other male sex hormones in their blood (R).
5) DHT May Increase the Spread of Acne
DHT may cause an increase in inflammatory acne (R).
6) DHT Can Cause a Male-like Hair Growth Pattern In Women
The application of finasteride, which inhibits DHT production was shown to be effective in treating women suffering from male-like hair growth (R).
How To Increase DHT
Everyone is different and our bodies can be complex. If you want to increase/decrease your DHT levels, it’s best to analyze them with Lab Test Analyzer. This tool will compute, based on this and your other results, the best steps you can take that will bring you back to optimal.
- Testosterone (R)
- Exercise (R)
- Creatine – Creatine increased DHT levels in a study of college-aged rugby players(R)
- Losing body fat (R)
- Sprinting (R)
- Green Tea (R)
- DHEA — DHEA raised levels of DHT in healthy, older women to levels higher than those found in young adults of either gender (R)
- Viagra (R)
- Caffeine (R)
- Dietary fat (R)
- Zinc (with meals) — Oral administration of zinc displayed higher levels of DHT in men (R)
- Tribulus (R)
- Diosgenin (R)
- Tongkat Ali (R)
How To Naturally Block DHT
- 5AR Inhibitors — 5AR Inhibitors like Finasteride and Dutasteride prevent testosterone from converting into DHT in the body (R)
- Testosterone Treatments — Testosterone treatments lowered DHT levels in elderly men with below-average testosterone levels and high DHT levels (R)
- EGCG (R)
- Zinc and Azelaic Acid — A combination treatment of zinc and azelaic acid was shown to reduce the creation of DHT in the body and could potentially serve as a treatment for damage caused to the skin by DHT (R, R)
- Black Tea (R)
- Lowering Caloric Intake (R)
- Flaxseeds (R)
- Fenugreek (R)
- Soy + Green Tea—A combination treatment of soy and green tea lowered DHT levels in mice (R)
- Curcumin (R, R)
- Red Ginseng (R, R)
- Reishi (R, R)
- Copper (high starch-based diet- do not supplement) (R)
- Nettle Root (R)
- PUFAs-especially GLA
- GLA – gamma-linolenic acid and myristoleic acid (R)
- Vitamin B2 (from diet) (R)
- Saw Palmetto (R)
- Pumpkin Seed Oil (R)
- Amla (R)
These are products that only inhibit the effects of DHT.
- Chyawanprash — Contains certain tannins and omega-6 fatty acids, which are anti-inflammatory and protect hair (R)
- Berberine (with meals) (R)
- Fo-Ti (R)
- Black pepper — contains piperine, which has been shown to inhibit androgens like testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (R)
- Andrographis (R)
DHT on SelfDecode
rs7594951 is a SNP that influences the metabolism of DHT. AA = more prone to having higher blood levels of DHT (R).
Irregular DHT Levels?
If you have not yet tested your DHT levels, I recommend that you ask your doctor for it. If you already have your blood test results and you’re not sure what to make of them, you need to check out Lab Test Analyzer. It does all the heavy lifting for you. No need to do thousands of hours of research on what to make of your various blood tests.
People don’t realize that their blood test results contain a gold mine of information that’s waiting to be unearthed. Unfortunately, not everyone has the time or the inclination to sift through dozens of research papers.
It’s super-simple, so that even if you don’t have any background in science, you will understand what your results mean, and what you can do to get them in the optimal range.
Lab Test Analyzer gives you up-to-date scientific information about your lab results. In addition, you will get both lifestyle tips and natural solutions to help you optimize your health. You can also rely on our science-based Optimal Ranges to prevent potential health issues and maximize your overall wellbeing.
All the content is backed by science and researched by a team of PhDs, professors, and scientists.
We’re all unique, so we deserve solutions that treat us that way.
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?