Ibutamoren Mesylate is a substance that is associated with more discussions on online forums than actual clinical research. However, the research so far does support several benefits of ibutamoren, associated with its ability to increase growth hormone and IGF-1 levels. Read on to find out what these benefits are, whether ibutamoren can help you, and how to deal with potential side effects.
- Benefits of Ibutamoren
- 1) Ibutamoren Helps Build Muscles
- 2) Ibutamoren Reduces Muscle Wasting
- 3) Ibutamoren Increases Bone Density
- 4) Ibutamoren Improves Sleep
- 5) Ibutamoren Combats Aging and May Increase Longevity
- 6) Ibutamoren May Have Nootropic Effects
- 7) Ibutamoren is Beneficial in Treating Growth Hormone Deficiency
- 8) Ibutamoren May Help with Wound Healing and Tissue Regeneration
- 9) Ibutamoren May Help with Hangovers
- Side Effects
- Genetics Affecting Responses to Ibutamoren
- Buy Ibutamoren
- Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
Ibutamoren is frequently discussed on online forums for its muscle-building properties. It is available over the counter and used by those wishing to increase their growth hormone levels.
However, clinical studies of this compound are relatively few. In the text below, we will highlight what is known about ibutamoren so far.
Ibutamoren increases growth hormone levels by mimicking the action of the hormone ghrelin and binding to one of the ghrelin receptors (GHSR) in the brain. Activated GHSR stimulates growth hormone release from the brain.
GHSR is found in brain regions that control appetite, pleasure, mood, biological rhythms, memory, and cognition [R]. Therefore, we can expect that ibutamoren may also affect these functions. However, so far, clinical studies describe only the effects ibutamoren has on appetite – and as expected, like ghrelin, ibutamoren increases it.
A great thing about ibutamoren is that it increases growth hormone levels with little or no increase in other hormones, such as cortisol [R, R]. Cortisol suppresses the immune system, reduces wound healing, and impairs learning and memory, and it’s usually not good to have this hormone elevated.
Optimize your levels and keep them balanced with our free Blood Test Reference Guide.
Benefits of Ibutamoren
1) Ibutamoren Helps Build Muscles
Ibutamoren is frequently used as an anabolic substance, to increase lean body mass i.e. create bigger muscles. It is orally active and can be taken once a day. These are all benefits compared to other growth hormone stimulators.
In 24 obese men, a two-month treatment (DB-RCT) with ibutamoren increased lean mass, and transiently increased basal metabolic rate (BMR) [R].
2) Ibutamoren Reduces Muscle Wasting
In a study (DB-RCT) in eight food-deprived healthy volunteers, ibutamoren reversed diet-induced protein loss [R], that could cause muscle wasting.
In 123 elderly patients with hip fracture, ibutamoren improved gait speed, muscle strength and reduced the number of falls (RCT) [R].
3) Ibutamoren Increases Bone Density
Growth hormone (GH) increases bone turnover and eventually bone density [R]. However, because of the increased turnover in subjects treated with growth hormone, bone density can initially decrease before increasing [R]. Basically, it takes time (> 1 year) to see the bone density increase.
In 24 healthy obese male volunteers, ibutamoren increased bone turnover (DB-RCT) [R].
In 187 elderly adults (65 years or older), ibutamoren increased bone building, as measured by osteocalcin, a marker of bone turnover in multiple studies (3 DB-RCTs) [R].
In one study (DB-RCT) with 292 post-menopausal women, ibutamoren increased bone mineral density, which helps increase bone strength and prevent osteoporosis [R].
4) Ibutamoren Improves Sleep
Apart from scientific studies, there have been many reports of subjective improvements in sleep quality, across various online forums.
You can’t perform your best in the weight room or the boardroom without great, restorative sleep. Biohacking Insomnia is the most comprehensive sleep guide ever published with all the tips you need to maximize your time sleeping so you’re at your peak while you’re awake.
Click Here to download our free Insomnia Resource Guide to get started.
5) Ibutamoren Combats Aging and May Increase Longevity
Growth Hormone (GH) secretion and muscle mass both decline from mid-puberty throughout life [R].
In a study with 65 elderly men and women (DB-RCT), daily ibutamoren increased GH and IGF-1 levels to those of healthy young adults without serious adverse effects [R]. IGF-1 is known to have beneficial effects on longevity [R, R].
In another study with 24 obese males (DB-RCT), ibutamoren rejuvenated the growth hormone profile [R].
6) Ibutamoren May Have Nootropic Effects
Some people use ibutamoren as a nootropic because it acts on the ghrelin receptor, which has nootropic effects. You can read more about these effects in the post on ghrelin. Science is, however, yet to study if and how ibutamoren affects cognitive performance.
Two indirect mechanisms by which ibutamoren can improve brain function:
- Ibutamoren increases IGF-1, which is known to improve memory and learning [R, R].
- Ibutamoren also increases REM sleep duration and sleep quality [R]. And we know that sleep is essential for good cognitive function [R].
A study (DB-multicenter) questioned the association of low IGF-1 and Alzheimer’s disease, and whether ibutamoren could be of help. However, in this study, ibutamoren was ineffective at slowing the progression of Alzheimer’s in humans [R].
7) Ibutamoren is Beneficial in Treating Growth Hormone Deficiency
Ibutamoren can increase growth hormone, IGF-1, and IGFBP-3 levels in children with growth hormone deficiency. Furthermore, these effects are achieved without changing the concentrations of prolactin, glucose, triiodothyronine (T3), thyroxine (T4), thyrotropin, cortisol or insulin [R].
In severely GH-deficient men, ibutamoren increased IGF-1 and growth hormone, with no significant changes in cortisol, PRL, and thyroid hormone levels. However, insulin and glucose were increased (DB-RCT) [R].
8) Ibutamoren May Help with Wound Healing and Tissue Regeneration
There are individual reports of ibutamoren being helpful, but scientific studies are lacking.
9) Ibutamoren May Help with Hangovers
This one is anecdotal, but people report curing hangovers with ibutamoren.
The most frequent side effects of ibutamoren are an increase in appetite and transient, mild lower extremity edema and muscle pain [R].
Although most studies report little or no side effects, one study was terminated because of serious adverse events. In elderly patients with hip fracture, ibutamoren elevated blood pressure, blood glucose and HbA1c, and there were cases of congestive heart failure [R]. The patients experiencing congestive heart failure were over 80 and had a history of prior heart failure.
It would be prudent to watch your carbohydrate intake and regularly check blood sugar and insulin levels while taking ibutamoren.
As an anabolic, ibutamoren should be avoided if you have cancer. Both growth hormone and IGF-1 may promote cancer growth.
I would not take ibutamoren if you are Th1 dominant since growth hormone has immune stimulatory properties.
Genetics Affecting Responses to Ibutamoren
SelfDecode is the best and most powerful genetic application, which will help you interpret your genes. Sign up and upload your raw data to see what versions of these genes (alleles) you have. Sign up for 23andme for only $99 and put your raw data into SelfDecode.
GHSR is the gene that codes for the ghrelin receptor. When this receptor is activated by ghrelin or ibutamoren, the pituitary gland is given the signal to start releasing growth hormone. It’s better to have this gene increased most of the time.
- MK-677 by IRC.BIO, a research chemical store that you can buy from.
Quit throwing away money on the wrong supplements! SelfDecode helps determine what supplements will have the greatest effect on you at the genetic level, meaning you always know what will give you the biggest boost.
Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
At SelfHacked, it’s our goal to offer our readers all the tools possible to get optimally healthy. When I was struggling with chronic health issues I felt stuck because I didn’t have any tools to help me get better. I had to spend literally thousands of hours trying to read through studies on pubmed to figure out how the body worked and how to fix it.
That’s why I decided to create tools that will help others cut down the guesswork:
- Lab Test Analyzer – a software tool that will analyze your labs and tell you what the optimal values are for each marker — as well as provide you with actionable tips and personalized health and lifestyle recommendations to help you get there.
- SelfDecode – a software tool that will help you analyze your genetic data from companies such as 23andme and ancestry. You will learn how your health is being impacted by your genes, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage.
- SelfHacked Secrets – an ebook where we examine and explain the biggest overlooked environmental factors that cause disease. This ebook is a great place to start your journey if you want to learn the essential steps to optimizing your health.
- SelfHacked Elimination Diet course – a video course that will help you figure out which diet works best for you
- Selfhacked Inflammation course – a video course on inflammation and how to bring it down
- Biohacking insomnia – an ebook on how to get great sleep
- Lectin Avoidance Cookbook – an e-cookbook for people with food sensitivities
- BrainGauge – a device that detects subtle brain changes and allows you to test what’s working for you
- SelfHacked VIP – an area where you can ask me (Joe) questions about health topics
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?