Your memory may decline with age and high-stress lifestyle. In this post, we cover supplements and nootropics that help improve memory, with the mechanisms. If you’re interested in cognitive enhancement that my clients and I have used for awesome results you should check out our book, SelfHacked Secrets. To receive the first chapter free click here.
- Nootropics That Improve Your Memory
- 1) Panax Ginseng + Gingko biloba Improve Memory
- 2) Bacopa Monnieri Improves Memory
- 3) Huperzine-A Improves Memory
- 4) Semax Improves Memory
- 5) Selank Improves Memory
- 6) Butyrate Improves Memory
- 7) Creatine Improves Memory
- 8) Glucose Improves Memory
- 9) Curcumin Improves Memory
- 10) Citicoline (CDP-Choline) Improves Memory
- 11) Alpha-GPC Improves Memory
- 12) Nicotine
- 13) Selegiline Improves Memory
- 14) Modafinil Improves Memory
- 15) Armodafinil Improves Memory
- Racetams, Research Chemicals and Memory
- Other Ways of Protecting Memory and Avoiding Cognitive Diseases
Nootropics That Improve Your Memory
1) Panax Ginseng + Gingko biloba Improve Memory
Panax Ginseng is a traditional Chinese herb that improve long-term memory.
The Ginkgo/Ginseng combination improves memory (Index of Memory Quality) in healthy adults [R].
This combination helps:
- Long-term episodic memory [R].
- Working memory (14-day of use) [R].
- Prevent memory loss (in mice) [R].
- Prevent age-related memory loss in middle-aged volunteers [R].
How Panax Ginseng Improves Memory (Mechanisms)
- Reduces oxidative stress by promoting the release of Nitric Oxide (NO), which protects the brain [R].
- Increases serotonin [R].
- Increases neurotransmitters (dopamine, epinephrine, and norepinephrine) involved in learning in normal rat brains [R].
How Ginkgo Improves Memory (Mechanisms)
- Increases acetylcholine, which helps with learning, attention, and memory [R, R].
- Increases antioxidant enzymes (SOD and catalase) in rat hippocampus [R].
- Protects the mitochondrial membrane and prevents cytochrome c release, preventing the neurons from self-destruction [R].
- Protects against amyloid-beta-induced toxicity, which is one of the most important factors in the development of Alzheimer’s disease [R].
2) Bacopa Monnieri Improves Memory
- Continuity of quality memory [R].
- Memory and cognitive function based on listening and Stroop task [R].
- Free memory recall [R].
- Delayed word call [R].
- Memory acquisition and retention in older men [R].
- Decrease rate of newly acquired information forgetfulness [R].
How Bacopa Improves Memory (Mechanisms)
- Increases acetylcholine (by acetylcholinesterase inhibition and/or choline acetyltransferase activation) and glutamate, which play a large role in learning and memory [R, R].
- Increases enzymes and transporters that increase serotonin (TPH2, SERT), which is involved in learning and memory enhancement [R].
- Increases antioxidant enzymes (SOD, catalase, GPx, GSR) and glutathione, protecting the brain from oxidative stress [R].
- Increases brain blood flow by increasing nitric oxide (NO) production and inhibiting calcium fluctuations. This is vital to memory and brain health [R].
3) Huperzine-A Improves Memory
Parkinson’s and Alzheimer’s disease patients experience degeneration in a region of the brain (nucleus basalis). In an animal model, Huperzine A restored healthy brain electrical activity (EEG). In animals suffering from lesions in this brain region, Huperzine A reduced the decay in cognitive and memory functions caused by the lesions [R].
Huperzine A enhanced the memory and learning of junior middle school students complaining of memory problems [R].
Huperzine A holds multiple neuroprotective effects [R].
How Huperzine A Improves Memory (Mechanisms)
- Increasing acetylcholine by inhibiting acetylcholinesterase [R].
- Increasing levels of NGF, BDNF, and TGF-Beta. These protect the brain and improve memory and learning ability [R].
In mice with reduced blood flow to the brain (chronic cerebral hypoperfusion), Huperzine A treatment reduced cognitive impairment by [R]:
- reducing myelin damage
- decreasing inflammation and white matter lesions
- reducing cell death
- improving learning and memory [R]
- reducing inflammation (TNF-alpha)
- reducing negative effects of low oxygen, significantly improving cognitive impairment
4) Semax Improves Memory
Semax is a drug used in Russia for the treatment of strokes and head injuries and to improve learning capacities and memory formation [R].
- Protects against low oxygen (in rats). It promotes neuron survival when the tissue is not receiving enough oxygen [R].
- Increases selective attention and memory storage [R].
- Influences the formation of new memories and learning processes [R].
- Increases selective attention at the moment of receiving information, strengthening and promoting learning abilities [R].
- Improves memory and attention in healthy men under extreme conditions [R].
How Semax Improves Memory (Mechanisms)
- Increases enkephalins (a natural opiate neurotransmitter), which helps with memory formation, consolidation, and reactivation [R, R].
- Enhances calcium ion accumulation inside the cells, which helps fight against brain degenerative processes [R].
- Enhances the production of proteins (immunoglobulin) that protect the brain [R].
5) Selank Improves Memory
Selank is a nootropic and anxiety reducing peptide developed in Russia. It is a synthetic analog of a component of immunoglobulin G (tuftsin).
Selank improved memory and brain function in rats with lowered learning abilities. Rats also optimized memory under conditions of high emotional stress [R].
In rats, injecting 300 μg/kg of Selank increased memory trace stability for one month [R].
Selank (300 μg/kg) restored cognitive function (memory, learning, and attention to sensory stimuli) in rats with chronic artificial inhibition of the brain (cerebral catecholaminergic system) [R].
How Selank Improves Memory (Mechanism)
- Activates dopamine D5 receptor (DRD5), which plays a key role in the formation of memory and learning processes [R].
- Increases BDNF in the hippocampus of rats [R].
- Increases enkephalins, which plays a role in memory formation, consolidation, and reactivation [R, R].
6) Butyrate Improves Memory
Sodium butyrate places the brain into a state that can benefit long-term memory [R].
Sodium butyrate increases long-term memory by increasing synaptic activity in the hippocampus long-term [R].
Sodium butyrate also increased memory function in patients with age-related brain diseases [R].
How Butyrate Improves Memory (Mechanisms)
7) Creatine Improves Memory
Creatine is currently in Phase III clinical trials for the treatment of Huntington’s disease [R].
In elderly patients, creatine supplementation improved cognition and memory in all but one tests, showing that creatine can aid cognitive function in the elderly [R].
How Creatine Improves Memory (Mechanism)
- Creatine is stored as phosphocreatine, which acts as a high-energy reserve. Phosphocreatine decreases rapidly during brain activity. Supplementing with creatine (2 grams per day for 1 month) increased average brain creatine by 9.7%. It acts as an energy source for the brain to focus on learning tasks, as well as an energy source for storing memories.
- Protects against beta-amyloid toxicity in the hippocampus [R].
- Protects neurons by maintaining mitochondrial energy production and protecting the mitochondria (by increasing mitochondrial membrane potential, reducing intra-mitochondrial levels of reactive oxygen species, and reducing calcium inside the mitochondria) [R].
8) Glucose Improves Memory
Glucose is the brain’s most important energy source. While glucose has many positive cognitive effects, memory improved the most [R].
Studies Show Glucose:
- Improved cognitive functions in subjects with different neurodegenerative diseases [R, R, R].
- Enhanced learning and memory in healthy young animals and humans [R].
- Improved verbal memory associated with conditions [R].
- Glucose levels are lowered following cognitively demanding tasks, supplementing may restore positive effects [R].
- Significantly improved memory and attention in college students.
Impaired blood sugar regulation is linked to cognitive impairments, especially visual memory. This impairment is worse in older individuals [R].
How Glucose Improves Memory (Mechanism)
- Improves memory consolidation and memory coding when task demand is high [R].
- Increases insulin levels, which is linked to memory enhancement [R].
- Increase acetylcholine, which is critical in memory and learning processes [R].
- Glucose-sensitive neurons in the brain may serve as glucose sensors. Therefore, glucose may induce neural changes that improve memory [R].
- Prevents cell death [R].
9) Curcumin Improves Memory
Curcumin Benefits for the Brain
- Protects against stress-induced impairment of brain development in rats [R].
- In older people, long-term supplementation with curcumin significantly improved working memory [R].
- Prevents learning and memory deficits in rats (treated with Sodium Metabisulfite) [R].
Curcumin Helps with Alzheimer’s Disease
Curcumin is a promising preventive supplement for Alzheimer’s disease [R]:
- It protects against neuronal self-destruction in rats, thus, improving learning and memory abilities [R].
- It reduces amyloid-induced spatial memory impairment in rats [R].
How Curcumin Improves Memory (Mechanism)
- increasing BDNF, CREB, and synapsin I
- reducing oxidative stress
- increasing synaptic plasticity
- protecting against chronic stress
- protecting against glutamate over-excitation
- restoring glutathione levels and insulin receptors [R]
- inhibiting inflammatory cytokines [R]
10) Citicoline (CDP-Choline) Improves Memory
Citicoline is an important intermediate in the creation of phosphatidylcholine from choline.
- Improve memory and learning [R], including situations of impoverished environments (animals) [R].
- Improve cognitive control (a frontal lobe function) in humans [R].
- Reduce memory impairments associated with brain diseases (chronic cerebrovascular disease, dementia, cerebral insufficiency, memory problems, dementia, and ischemic stroke) [R, R, R].
How Citicoline Improves Memory (Mechanism)
- Enhances membrane phosphatide synthesis [R].
- Decrease neuronal self-destruction [R].
- Increases glutathione, while decreasing oxidized glutathione [R].
11) Alpha-GPC Improves Memory
In mice, alpha-GPC improved a wide number of memory functions (working memory, verbal memory learning, and maze pathway learning) [R].
In amnesia-induced rats, alpha-GPC improved learning and memory [R].
How Alpha-GPC Improves Memory (Mechanism)
Although it is addictive, nicotine is one of the most well-documented drugs to improve memory.
Rather than smoking, there are safer ways to consume it, such as gum, snus, patches, or vaporizing.
Cognitive Benefits of Nicotine
- Makes it easier to consolidate memories in perceptual learning [R].
- Improves learning tasks (including contextual conditioning) [R].
- May protect the brain [R].
- Improves attention [R].
- Improves dexterity/coordination [R].
- Reduces cognitive impairment [R].
- Improves short-term memory [R].
Nicotine patches successfully helped with cognitive impairment in Alzheimer’s disease, schizophrenia, and ADD/ADHD [R]. Nicotine may be a promising treatment for Parkinson’s disease, Down’s syndrome, and age-related memory impairment [R, R].
How Nicotine Improves Memory (Mechanisms)
- Increases acetylcholine activity [R, R].
- Activates the alpha-4 beta-2 nicotinic receptor, implicated in learning [R].
- Activates the alpha-7 nicotinic receptor, implicated in long-term memory [R].
13) Selegiline Improves Memory
- MAO-A (dopamine, serotonin, melatonin, epinephrine, norepinephrine, tyramine)
- MAO-B (phenylethylamine, dopamine, and other amines).
Studies show selegiline:
- Helped memory impairments associated with Alzheimer’s (DB-RCT) [R].
- Improved memory/intelligence in Parkinson’s patients vs placebo [R].
- Improved memory impairments by the cholinergic system associated with dementia [R].
- Improved long-term memory in aged mice (0.25 mg/kg 3 times a week) [R].
- Protected against memory impairments from iron in mice [R].
How Selegiline Improves Memory
- Prevents prolongation of P300 latency [R, R, R].
- Increases dopamine (through inhibiting MAO-B) [R, R].
- Acts as an antioxidant and protects against glutamate toxicity [R].
- Inhibits acetylcholinesterase and thus increases acetylcholine [R, R].
14) Modafinil Improves Memory
Adult ADD/ADHD patients given modafinil (200 mg/day) showed significant improvements in short-term memory, visual memory, and spatial planning. However, although they responded more accurately on tests, they had slower responses (DB-RCT) [R].
How Modafinil Improves Memory (Mechanisms)
- Increases glutamate in the thalamus [R].
- Prevents glutamate toxicity [R].
- Increases dopamine, norepinephrine (inhibits dopamine/norepinephrine transporter) and serotonin [R].
- Increases histamine neurons in multiple parts of the brain [R].
15) Armodafinil Improves Memory
Racetams, Research Chemicals and Memory
SelfHacked does not endorse taking any of these drugs. This is for informational purposes. Joe doesn’t personally use the racetam drugs, as he doesn’t like their cognitive effect.
16) Piracetam Improves Memory
Piracetam improved long-term/short-term memory retrieval in 60 dyslexic boys [R].
Piracetam displayed a significant improvement in verbal and nonverbal short-term memory and attention in patients undergoing bypass surgery [R].
How Piracetam Improves Memory (Mechanism)
- Increase the function of muscarinic choline receptors [R].
- Increases NMDA receptors [R].
- Improves cell membrane fluidity [R].
- Enhances the brain’s ability to use glucose.
17) Oxiracetam Improves Memory
In Alzheimer’s or multi-infarct dementia patients, 800 mg oxiracetam twice daily improved memory, with no signs of tolerance. However, some cognitive tests were statistically worse than baseline after late stage follow-up [R].
In humans, oxiracetam shows greater improvement in memory factors compared to piracetam [R]. In rats and mice, oxiracetam improved memory as well as piracetam. In addition, it also improved learning ability [R].
In rats, oxiracetam decreased brain injury, and increase the ability of learning, memory, and space cognition rats with traumatic brain injury [R].
How Oxiracetam Improves Memory (Mechanism)
- Prevents the decrease of acetylcholine in the brain, critical in improving and restoring memory [R].
18) Coluracetam (BCI-540/Mkc-231) Improves Memory
In rats with brain damage from chemicals, coluracetam reduced the memory impairments with no significant side effects [R].
Coluracetam also displayed long-lasting (72 hours after the last dose) cognitive function improvement after repeated administration [R].
How Coluracetam Improves Memory (Mechanism)
19) Pramiracetam Improves Memory
Pramiracetam is marketed as a treatment for memory and attention deficits in aging people with brain degenerating diseases and vascular dementia.
In males with brain injuries, pramiracetam (400 mg) improved memory with no tolerance over an 18 month period. The effect was sustained even 1 month after discontinuing treatment (DB-CT) [R].
In rats, pramiracetam (7.5 mg/kg and 15 mg/kg) improved long-term memory but did not significantly improve working memory [R].
Pramiracetam was able to partially reduce the memory impairment caused by scopolamine in both young and old (18-42 and 55-65 years) patients [R].
How Pramiracetam Improves Memory (Mechanism)
- Increases nicotinic acetylcholine receptor activity [R].
- Increases choline uptake in rat hippocampus [R].
20) Phenylpiracetam/Phenotropil Improves Memory
Phenylpiracetam is a Russian drug created in 1983 to combat the prolonged stress of working in space. It is a prescription drug under the name Phenotropil in Russia.
In stroke patients, phenotropil restored daily activities and brain function [R].
In patients with brain damage (encephalopathy), phenotropil improved brain functions, memory, and counting abilities [R].
In animals that lack blood flow to the brain, phenotropil retained their memory functions and vitality [R].
The mechanisms of phenylpiracetam/phenotropil are not clinically clear but should be similar to other drugs in the racetam family.
21) Fasoracetam (NS-105) Improves Memory
Fasoracetam is a racetam drug that is in clinical trials for vascular dementia and ADHD.
The mechanisms of fasoracetam are not clinically clear but should be similar to other drugs in the racetam family.
22) PRL-8-53 Improves Memory
PRL-8-53 is a nootropic research chemical. Joe thought PRL-8-53 made his cognitive function worse.
In a double-blind study, PRL-8-53 enhanced learning and memory retention in humans [R].
The Mechanisms of PRL-8-53 are not clinically clear.
Other Ways of Protecting Memory and Avoiding Cognitive Diseases
- Stress-Management [R]
- Antioxidants [R]
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids [R]
- B Vitamins and Folate [R]
- Medium Chain Triglycerides (Axona and Coconut Oil) [R]
- Physical Activity [R]
- Advanced Cognitive Training for Independent and Vital Elderly (ACTIVE) [R]
- Proper Nutrition [R]
- Mental Exercise [R]
- Tea intake (Black/Oolong) [R]
- Statin use associated is with a decreased risk of dementia [R]
- Lithium may protect against dementia in bipolar patients [R]
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?