This one mushroom offers immune support, reduces stress and anxiety, is anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, and much more. Read more about Reishi mushroom to learn why it is traditionally called “The God of Fungi.”
- My Experience With Reishi
- The Reishi That I Recommend
- Health Benefits of Reishi
- 1) Reishi Reduces Inflammation and Acts as an Antioxidant
- 2) Reishi Improves Anxiety and Depression
- 3) Reishi Enhances the Immune System
- 4) Reishi Relieves Allergies
- 5) Reishi Benefits the Heart
- 6) Reishi Helps Prevent Cancer
- 7) Reishi Helps You Sleep
- 8) Reishi Heals the Liver and Kidneys
- 9) Reishi Enhances Your Brain
- 10) Reishi Aids Gut Health
- Side Effects
- Buy Reishi
- Are You Struggling With a Chronic Health Issue?
Ganoderma lucidum/“Lingzhi” (soul/spirit) mushroom, commonly known as “Reishi mushroom”, is a potent fungus which has been used for thousands of years in Chinese medicine. It is especially good at modifying the immune system by increasing it when weakened, or lowering it when it is too active (R).
It has 400 different bioactive compounds and these have been reported in scientific studies to have a number of effects including modification of the immune system, anti-inflammatory, anti-tumor, sleep promoting, antibacterial, antiviral, anti-diabetic, anti-oxidative, anti-aging and anti-ulcer to name a few (R).
My Experience With Reishi
Reishi is a Th1 stimulant and I’m Th1 dominant, so I don’t take it. Reishi is great for people with cancer, chronic infections, and immunodeficiency but not for those with autoimmune issues.
The Reishi That I Recommend
Health Benefits of Reishi
1) Reishi Reduces Inflammation and Acts as an Antioxidant
Studies have shown reishi to reduce inflammation in rheumatism, asthma, inflammation of the membrane that lines the eye and eyelids without notable side effects (R).
14 days of reishi increased anti-inflammatory/antioxidant markers and protected the blood from oxidative damage. Researchers say this justifies the traditional use of Reishi by African and Chinese medicine as an anti-inflammatory agent (R).
2) Reishi Improves Anxiety and Depression
Breast cancer patients reported reduced anxiety and depression, as well as increased quality of life when they received reishi along with their cancer treatment. The group not receiving reishi did not report these effects (R).
3) Reishi Enhances the Immune System
Most people know about reishi for balancing immunity. G. lucidum can activate or deactivate certain parts of the immune system which is why it has a modulating role instead of a specific one area of action (R).
It contains high amounts of organic compounds that are proven to strengthen our immune cells and improve general immune system health (R).
It inhibits fungus growth up to 58% in 5 different fungal pathogens (R).
Reishi combined with antibiotics increased the antimicrobial activity much more than synthetic antibiotics alone (R).
The extract showed significantly enhanced wound healing activity (R).
Reishi extract has potent anti-malaria activity while at the same time protecting against liver damage (R).
4) Reishi Relieves Allergies
Studies have shown reishi extract to reduce and inhibit all four kinds of allergic responses (R).
Reishi has been used for various conditions, including chronic bronchitis because it reduces histamine. Studies reveal compounds found in reishi effectively inhibits the release of histamine from mast cells and stabilized mast cells at the same time (R, R, R).
5) Reishi Benefits the Heart
An extract of its protein has been shown to potently lower blood pressure with effects lasting up to 8 hours (R).
It also reduced damage to the cells that line blood vessels (R).
6) Reishi Helps Prevent Cancer
It has significant benefits for multiple types of cancer including prostate and breast cancer. It does this via various mechanisms: inflammation reduction, and inhibition of cell and tumor growth. G. lucidum is useful for both prevention and possible treatment (R, R, R).
Reishi suppressed cell adhesion and cell migration of highly invasive breast and prostate cancer cells, which means it can be potent at reducing tumor growth (R).
Also, it is an alternative way to aid the treatment of leukemia (R).
Reishi has been found to significantly decrease fatigue, anxiety, and depression and improve the subjective well-being of breast cancer survivors and patients (R).
Preclinical studies have shown that reishi has potent anti-tumor activity and strengthens the immune system in advanced-stage cancer (R).
7) Reishi Helps You Sleep
Chinese and Japanese herbalists traditionally recommend it for insomnia due to its sleep-promoting ability (R).
Modern science has found that it is useful for sleep (R).
8) Reishi Heals the Liver and Kidneys
14 patients with proteinuria, a sign of kidney disease, used reishi. All 14 patients got rid of the proteinuria after using reishi and restored their immune system to proper balance (R).
Reishi protected against the damage done by moderate daily alcohol consumption on the liver in rats (R).
In malaria-infected animals, Reishi protected against liver damage while also potently suppressing the malaria infection (R).
9) Reishi Enhances Your Brain
Reishi also improved the brain function of the alcohol-consuming rats, both increasing the energy supply to the brain as well as decreased the amount of mind slowing neurotransmitters that alcohol increases (R).
10) Reishi Aids Gut Health
It helps prevent ulcers from forming and lowers fat in the body as well (R).
- Serum malondialdehyde content decreased with a corresponding significant (P<0.05) increase in superoxide dismutase, glutathione peroxidase, glutathione S-transferase, and glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase activities in the extract-treated groups compared to the infected but untreated group (R).
- G. lucidum is the most effective inhibitor, with the lowest half maximal inhibitory concentration (64.09 ± 6.29 μg/mL) of the Nitric Oxide production (R).
- The experimental group showed statistically significant improvements in the domains of physical well-being and fatigue subscale after intervention with TNF-a, IL-6 (R).
- After 4 h administration of Reishi, the systolic pressure significantly decreased to 34.3 mmHg (19.5% change) and the effect was maintained up to 8 h of administration, with the decrease reaching as low as 26.8 mmHg (15% reduction-compare to base line a decrease of 26.8 mmHg is less than a decrease of 34.3 mmHg so it should give a smaller % reduction) (R).
- Additionally, our results show that Reishi inhibited convulsions in rats from Kainic Acid-induced seizures, reduced the degeneration pattern, decreased astrocytic reactivity, and reduced the expression of IL-1β and TNF-α induced by KA (R).
1-2 caps per day of this extract, taken at night or afternoon depending on your response to it:
Reishi most commonly helps you relax, thus promoting sleep, but for some, it can also increase energy and wakefulness. Try it out to see how it affects you.
One study showed no evidence for liver, kidney or DNA toxicity with reishi intake (R).
Although very rare, it may make some autoimmune conditions worse by activating/increasing the already overactive immune system.
Notes of caution: Some studies show it reduces NF-kB (inflammation) and some show an increase, so individual responses to it may vary. It might be most useful for balance/reduction of Th2 dominance and as an immune booster for Th1 dominance (R, R).
Are You Struggling With a Chronic Health Issue?
If you are struggling with chronic health issues – the way I used to – you probably have piles of lab tests that can potentially tell you a lot about your health. However, doctors never had enough time to explain it properly. They will only notice it if the lab flags your test results as outside of normal. But what if all your results are coming back normal, yet you know you are feeling nowhere near healthy? They may even tell you there is nothing wrong with you, and that it’s all in your head – I’ve been there.
Lab Test Analyzer is the tool I wish I had when I was dealing with all my health issues. Instead of normal, it will tell you the optimal values for lab tests. And if you are outside the optimal range, it will give you actionable tips and recommendations that will help you get there.
However, most of the time, people’s issues cannot solely be detected by their labs.
The combination of environment, diet and genetics is the main reason why people come down with chronic health issues.
If you’ve gotten your genes sequenced, SelfDecode can help you determine if your health issues may be as a result of your genes, and then pinpoint what you can do about it.
In SelfHacked Secrets, we dissect the big 8 environmental factors that cause disease. It’s a great place to start your journey if you want to learn the basics of getting your health to be optimal.
Disclaimer and Caveats
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?