- What is Rhodiola rosea?
- Health Benefits of Rhodiola rosea
- 1) Rhodiola rosea Has Antioxidant Properties
- 2) Rhodiola rosea Has Adaptogenic (Anti-stress) Properties
- 3) Rhodiola rosea is an Anti-microbial
- 4) Rhodiola rosea Improves Immune System Response
- 5) Rhodiola rosea Suppresses Tumor Growth
- 6) Rhodiola rosea Has Antidepressant Properties
- 7) Rhodiola crenulata Regulates Glycogen and Lipid (fat) Metabolism
- 8) Rhodiola and Salidrosides Are Neuroprotective
- 9) Rhodiola rosea Abates Inflammatory Response
- 10) Rhodiola rosea Possesses Cardioprotective Properties and Suppresses Atrial Fibrillation
- 11) Rhodiola rosea Reduces Symptoms of Cognitive Dysfunction
- 12) Rhodiola rosea Extract Prevents Pulmonary Fibrosis
- 13) Rhodiola Helps Reduce Pain
- Potential Risks
- Buy Rhodiola rosea Supplement
What is Rhodiola rosea?
The Rhodiola species is composed of mainly Rhodiola rosea along with Rhodiola imbricata, Rhodiola algida, and Rhodiola crenulata. Generally, these herbs are known for their adaptogenic (anti-stress) properties.
However, they also possess numerous other cognitive and physical benefits that are integral to medicine in parts of Eastern Asia. Extracts from these herbs are widely used in various health applications.
Health Benefits of Rhodiola rosea
1) Rhodiola rosea Has Antioxidant Properties
If free radicals overwhelm the body’s ability to regulate them, a condition known as oxidative stress ensues. Free radicals thus adversely alter lipids, proteins, and DNA and trigger a number of human diseases (R).
Nrf2 can protect cells and tissues from a variety of toxicants and carcinogens by increasing the expression of a number of cytoprotective genes (R).
A major mechanism in the cellular defense against oxidative stress is activation of the Nrf2-antioxidant response element signaling pathway, which controls the expression of genes whose protein products are involved in the detoxication and elimination of reactive oxidants by enhancing cellular antioxidant capacity (R).
2) Rhodiola rosea Has Adaptogenic (Anti-stress) Properties
Adaptogen properties have been mainly attributed to salidroside’s, one of the bioactive compounds present in the standardized extracts of Rhodiola rosea (R).
Increased tolerance to stress induced by adaptogen is associated with its stimulation of expression of Hsp70 and Hsp72, which is known as a mediator of stress responses involved in repairing proteins during physical load (R).
3) Rhodiola rosea is an Anti-microbial
Rhodiola rosea supplementation has the potential to protect athletes from exercise-induced susceptibility to infections by reducing virus replication (R).
Rhodiola imbricata induces the expression of the innate immune response genes (RIG-I and MDA5) in response to infection with dengue virus. This leads to the expression of IFN-α/β, which has antiviral functions (R).
Bacteria form dense surface-associated communities known as biofilms that are central to their persistence and how they affect us (R).
4) Rhodiola rosea Improves Immune System Response
In septic mice, Rhodiola rosea both suppressed T lymphocyte cell death and promoted host immunity (R).
Pretreatment with Rhodiola extract increased the survival of septic mice (R).
5) Rhodiola rosea Suppresses Tumor Growth
One important property of Rhodiola extracts is their ability to inhibit angiogenesis (R).
Angiogenesis, though a vital part of growth and development, can support the proliferation of malignant cell growth (R).
6) Rhodiola rosea Has Antidepressant Properties
Rhodiola rosea demonstrates multi-target effects on various levels of the regulation of cell response to stress, affecting various components of the neuroendocrine (NPY), neurotransmitter receptor and molecular networks associated with possible beneficial effects on mood (R).
7) Rhodiola crenulata Regulates Glycogen and Lipid (fat) Metabolism
Liver AMPK activation suppresses anabolic (growth) metabolism, including cholesterol and fatty acid synthesis, and increases fatty acid oxidation by regulating gene expression (R).
The fat reducing effect of RCE was verified by the decreased expression levels of genes involved in fatty acid biosynthesis and increased fatty acid β-oxidation in cells (R).
RCE inhibited protein and gene expression of fat-producing genes in the rat liver (R).
8) Rhodiola and Salidrosides Are Neuroprotective
Rhodiola (p-tyrosol) increased survival, reduced neuronal damage in the hippocampus, and reduced lipid peroxidation in brain tissue in an animal model of neurodegenerative disease (R).
9) Rhodiola rosea Abates Inflammatory Response
Treatment with Rhodiola rosea suppressed proinflammatory cytokines, decreasing both IFNy production by T cells and IL-1 by various blood cell types, but did not decrease the T cell immune response (R).
10) Rhodiola rosea Possesses Cardioprotective Properties and Suppresses Atrial Fibrillation
Rhodiola rosea restricts ion flow across neuro-potassium channels with the purpose of preventing erratic arrhythmic neurological stimulations in the heart (R).
Activation of mu-opiate receptors in heart muscle prevented reperfusion arrhythmias in animal hearts (R).
The beneficial electrophysiological effect of Rhodiola may be related to increased transcription of Kv1.5, KvLQT1 (these genes are associated with the flow of ions across a potassium voltage-gated channel) and activation of PI3K/AKT signaling (R).
11) Rhodiola rosea Reduces Symptoms of Cognitive Dysfunction
Salidrosides possesses potent anti-oxidative properties and protects against dopaminergic neuronal death (R).
Rhodiola rosea extract containing capsules increased wakefulness and cognitive performance by induction of increases of delta and theta (measures of brain activity) waves during mental challenges (R).
12) Rhodiola rosea Extract Prevents Pulmonary Fibrosis
13) Rhodiola Helps Reduce Pain
- Rhodiola rosea inhibits the metabolic capacity of CYP2C9 in humans (important in the oxidation of xenobiotic and endogenous compounds) (R).
- R rosea has a very low level of toxicity. The equivalent dosage in a 70-kg man would be about 235 grams. Because the usual clinical doses are 200 to 600 mg/d, there is a huge margin of safety.
Buy Rhodiola rosea Supplement
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?