Shilajit is nutrient rich biomass found in the Himalayas. The supplement has been discovered to act as an important antioxidant and can have rejuvenating effects on the body.
- My Experience With Shilajit
- Scientific Health Benefits of Shilajit
- 1) Shilajit Reduces Symptoms of Chronic Fatigue
- 2) Shilajit Improves Testosterone Production and Sperm Production
- 3) Shilajit Has Anti-Inflammatory Properties
- 4) Shilajit Has Anti-Addictive Properties
- 5) Shilajit Can Benefit the Gut
- 6) Shilajit Can Protect the Heart
- 7) Shilajit Helps Decrease Effects of Head Trauma
- 8) Shilajit Protects Against Radiation and Cellular Stress
- 9) Shilajit Prevents Neurodegeneration Associated With Alzheimer’s
- 10) Shilajit Helps the Body Absorb Iron
- 11) Shilajit Can Improve Blood Circulation
- 12) Shilajit Has Anti-Diabetic Properties
- 13) Shilajit Can Help In Recovery From Seizures
- Potential Risks/Side Effects
- Technical Information About Shilajit:
- Buy Shilajit
Shilajit is a nutrient and mineral-rich biomass found in the Himalayas. Shilajit’s richness in humic and fulvic acids has been shown to have many health benefits. It is primarily renowned for its rejuvenating impact on the body.
Shilajit contains more than 85 minerals in Ionic form and humic substances (mainly fulvic and humic acid) (R).
My Experience With Shilajit
I tried many different kinds of shilajit and the effects were different for each one. For all of them, I found you had to take a hefty dosage to notice something. For example, this one by Swanson, I needed to take about 10 capsules to really feel an effect. While the effect was decent, it wasn’t optimal for me.
The Purblack Shilajit had the best effects without a doubt. It gave me a very significant burst of energy and made me feel really good. The downside is the price. This is the only legitimate Shilajit product that lives up to its potential.
Scientific Health Benefits of Shilajit
Note: these studies are all conducted on animals.
1) Shilajit Reduces Symptoms of Chronic Fatigue
By treating the HPA axis, Shilajit reduced chronic fatigue syndrome in animals (, R).
Shilajit also reversed CFS-induced mitochondrial oxidative damage.
2) Shilajit Improves Testosterone Production and Sperm Production
3) Shilajit Has Anti-Inflammatory Properties
Neutrophil cells cause tissue damage and inflammation in a range of disorders (R).
Humic Acid and Fulvic Acid can both reduce levels of neutrophils in the body.
This will reduce inflammation.
4) Shilajit Has Anti-Addictive Properties
In mice, Shilajit eliminated withdrawal syndrome and reduced addiction to substances through altering cortico-hippocampal dopamine in mice (R).
Studies have shown that Shilajit can decrease the risk of developing a tolerance for morphine in mice (R).
This can reduce the risk of developing an addiction to morphine or a dependence on morphine (R).
5) Shilajit Can Benefit the Gut
As an antioxidant, Shilajit can protect the body from stomach damage caused by oxidative damage (R).
Fulvic acid can also reduce pepsin acid secretions in the stomach (R).
Reduction of oxidative damage and pepsin acid can reduce the risk of developing stomach ulcers (R).
Benzoic Acid in Shilajit has antibacterial properties in the stomach and intestines (R).
Because of this, Shilajit can reduce the risk of developing microbial gastrointestinal infections (R).
6) Shilajit Can Protect the Heart
It was proposed that Shilajit might have some direct effect reducing high-density cholesterol.
It was also proposed that humic acid, a constituent of Shilajit, may reduce cholesterol buildup in the arteries.
7) Shilajit Helps Decrease Effects of Head Trauma
Head Trauma causes vascular damage to the brain and high intracranial pressure.
Shilajit can help reduce vascular damage in the brain caused by oxidative damage during trauma and reduce recovery time (animals) (R).
Shilajit can also improve circulation in brain tissue to reduce intracranial pressure (R).
8) Shilajit Protects Against Radiation and Cellular Stress
Radiation triggers cell death in ovarian cells by causing oxidative damage (R).
Shilajit caused a significant increase in healthy ovarian cells after radiation exposure (R).
The substance may do this by turning off the cell death pathway in these cells (R).
9) Shilajit Prevents Neurodegeneration Associated With Alzheimer’s
Alzheimer’s disease (AD) is characterized by protein misfolding and protein aggregation in the brain (R).
A study showed that fulvic acid (a main ingredient of Shilajit) can significantly decrease protein aggregation in the brain (R).
10) Shilajit Helps the Body Absorb Iron
Fulvic acid helps bone marrow cells absorb more Iron, which causes blood cells to have more Iron in them.
More Iron in blood cells helps them capture oxygen more efficiently.
This means that blood cells in the body can cope better in low oxygen conditions.
11) Shilajit Can Improve Blood Circulation
Fulvic acid helps improve blood circulation and nutrient diffusion into tissues.
This allows nutrients to be delivered to deep tissues that are usually nutrient lacking.
Fulvic acid can also remove toxins from these deep tissues.
The improved circulation can prevent deep tissues from dying due to lack of nutrition or too many toxins (R).
12) Shilajit Has Anti-Diabetic Properties
Destruction of Beta cells in the pancreas can lead to type 2 diabetes (R).
By acting as an antioxidant, Shilajit can protect Beta-cell from destruction (R).
13) Shilajit Can Help In Recovery From Seizures
A study showed that rats pretreated with Shilajit had an increased recovery rate from seizures (R).
Higher doses of Shilajit showed a significant delay in the onset of clonic seizures.
Shilajit also decreased deaths due to seizure and delayed death due to seizure (R).
Potential Risks/Side Effects
Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs can lead to an increased risk of gut complications such as ulcerative colitis, intestinal ulcers, intestinal perforations, damage to the small bowel and large intestines, as well as an increased risk of heart complications (R).
The recommended dose of Shilajit for maintenance of optimal health is 300- 500 mg/day. Shilajit powder taken with milk twice a day will ensure optimal blood levels and therapeutic efficacy.
Shilajit is generally considered safe in moderate doses and is readily available in the United States both as a stand-alone product and in the traditional Ayurvedic formula Chandraprabha (R).
Technical Information About Shilajit:
- Shilajit increases the levels of neuronal dopamine in the brain, which has an anxiety suppressing action [R]. By reducing anxiety, Shilajit can be used to treat addiction.
- Studies in mice showed that Shilajit greatly increased the levels of the protein GABA in the brain. The increase in GABA levels is thought to be the mechanism by which Shilajit acts as an anti-epileptic [R].
- Shilajit blocks cell death pathways by decreasing levels of p53, Bax, and caspase 3. These key proteins are in the apoptotic pathways [R].
- Potassium humate (a component of Shilajit) reduces the level of pro-inflammatory cytokines like TNF-a, IL-1b, IL-6 and IL-10 in cells. This allows Shilajit to work well as an anti-inflammatory.
- By increasing Iron in blood, Shilajit increases hemoglobin levels in red blood cells. The increased amount of hemoglobin allows for red blood cells to have a higher binding affinity for Oxygen.
- By increasing levels of Glutathione, Shilajit helps protect the body against free radicals. Free radicals are often Oxygen compounds that have an unstable charge. Glutathione donates an electron to these molecules in order to stabilize them and prevent them from damaging cellular components [R].
- This Shilajit is the only one that I recommend
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?