Although everyone loves the little kick that caffeine can give in a chocolate snack, they are less aware of the healthy effects theobromine has on the body. Also found in cacao, theobromine has numerous advantages when you are maintaining a healthy lifestyle by keeping your heart strong and mind awake. Check out our book SelfHacked Secrets to discover the most powerful biohacks that have improved the lives of myself and many of my clients. To receive the first chapter absolutely free click here.
Read on to discover more about the benefits of the naturally occurring stimulant, theobromine.
- Health Benefits of Theobromine
- 1) Theobromine Lowers Blood Pressure
- 2) Theobromine is a Stimulant
- 3) Theobromine Helps Brain Function
- 4) Theobromine Helps Remove Toxins
- 5) Theobromine Increases Airflow in Lungs
- 6) Theobromine Prevents Tooth Decay
- 7) Theobromine Is Anti-Inflammatory
- 8) Theobromine Improves Cholesterol Levels
- 9) Theobromine May Help with Weight Loss
- 10) Theobromine May Reduce the Risk of Cancer
- 11) Theobromine Can Help You Sleep
- 12) Theobromine May Help Reduce Gout Symptoms
- 13) Theobromine May Prevent Kidney Stones
- Side Effects
- Drug and Supplement Interactions
- Natural Sources
- User Experiences
- Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
Theobromine is a naturally occurring compound found in cacao plants and tea leaves.
Named after the scientific name of cacao trees, Theobroma Cacao, scientists found it had similar stimulation and heart effects to caffeine.
Mechanism of Action
Theobromine primarily functions to improve your circulatory, respiratory, and excretory systems [R].
It blocks phosphodiesterase enzymes and increases the activity of a messenger called cAMP. This messenger activates an enzyme called PKA, which reduces inflammation and causes widening of blood vessels and increases stimulation [R].
Theobromine also blocks adenosine receptors. These usually trigger hormones such as norepinephrine, that can increase blood pressure, but theobromine acts to block this. It increases the speed the brain responds to signals, such as increasing heart rate.
Health Benefits of Theobromine
1) Theobromine Lowers Blood Pressure
Theobromine causes blood pressure decrease quickly due to widening of blood vessels [R].
In a study (DB-RCT) of 84 healthy patients, theobromine significantly lowered blood pressure at doses between 250 and 1,000 mg [R].
Another study (DB-RCT) of 24 participants showed that theobromine can help high blood pressure. Within 1 hour of consumption, 700 mg of theobromine successfully lowered participant’s blood pressure [R].
2) Theobromine is a Stimulant
Theobromine keeps the brain and heart active and stimulated [R].
In two studies (DB-RCTs) of 42 and 80 healthy participants respectively, doses between 300 and 1,000 mg of theobromine increased heart rate in a dose-dependent manner. In 5 hours, heart rate increased by about 6-7 beats per minute. This helped the subjects become more stimulated and active [R, R].
After theobromine consumption, 24 participants (DB-RCT) had increased interest in study activities due to brain stimulation. [R].
3) Theobromine Helps Brain Function
In a study (RCT), 24 participants were asked to do tasks before and after theobromine intake. After theobromine intake, the subjects showed more interest in the tasks and were calmer. When combined with the effects of caffeine (in cocoa), these positive effects on the brain further improved [R].
In a 30-patient study (DB-RCT), cocoa-based drinks with varying amounts of theobromine and other chocolate components called flavanols were consumed. As these flavanols took effect, participants had improved performance on mental tasks and reduced mental fatigue [R].
4) Theobromine Helps Remove Toxins
Through widening of blood vessels, theobromine helps the body increase blood flow. This reduces excess fluid that can collect in blood vessels, and it is removed from the body as urine, allowing blood to filter out and remove toxins [R].
When high blood pressure causes fluid accumulation in the body, theobromine works to decrease the fluid through increased urination [R].
5) Theobromine Increases Airflow in Lungs
Theobromine opens up pathways for air to enter the lungs, which can lessen coughing and asthmatic episodes [R].
By opening up the bronchioles, where oxygen exchange takes place, breathing becomes easier. In a study (DB-RCT) of 21 young adults with asthma, theobromine capsules increased bronchial diameter, which increases airflow to the lungs [R].
In guinea pigs, theobromine treated coughing, due to inflammation of the lungs. A dose of 32 mg/kg theobromine was supplied to guinea pigs with a cough. The amount of coughing was significantly reduced for 4 hours. Results are promising due to its natural ability to be a cough remedy [R].
6) Theobromine Prevents Tooth Decay
Theobromine can naturally promote healthy enamel in teeth [R].
7) Theobromine Is Anti-Inflammatory
Demonstrated by its effects on gout and asthma, theobromine is a natural anti-inflammatory [R].
In a study (DB-RCT) of 21 asthma patients, theobromine minimized airway inflammation in the lungs. This increases the patients’ ability to breathe [R].
8) Theobromine Improves Cholesterol Levels
In a study (DB-RCT) of 152 healthy participants, theobromine is the main ingredient in cocoa that causes the decrease in LDL cholesterol [R].
9) Theobromine May Help with Weight Loss
Theobromine suppresses appetite, which can lead to weight loss. Through a chemical analysis of weight loss products, its components compared with others showed it is a natural substance that reduce hunger [R].
Since it is a stimulant, it also provides energy for physical activity as well as shed water weight. Theobromine-rich cocoa powder induced significant weight loss in rats by breaking down fat in the body [R].
10) Theobromine May Reduce the Risk of Cancer
Theobromine has properties that reduce the development of tumors through an inhibition of an enzyme that can lead to cancer growth [R].
A study of human cells suggests that common brain cancers can be avoided due to theobromine’s inhibition of pathways (Ras-p44/42 ERK and Akt) that promotes tumor formation. Theobromine also reduces rapid cell regeneration, which is effective in preventing tumor growth [R].
11) Theobromine Can Help You Sleep
In a survey of 5,587 people, 30 mg theobromine supplements contributed to staying asleep for a long period. Compared to other foods with caffeine, cocoa can result in a more restful sleep due to the theobromine component [R, R].
12) Theobromine May Help Reduce Gout Symptoms
For individuals with gout, a form of arthritis, theobromine can prevent the inflammation of joints by increasing blood circulation. It also prevents uric acid buildup, which contributes to gout [R, R].
13) Theobromine May Prevent Kidney Stones
Theobromine extracted from cacao inhibits the buildup of uric acid, a type of kidney stone. Since theobromine is a diuretic, it can also reduce the risk of kidney stones by increasing urine flow [R].
Human consumption of theobromine is not toxic unless consumed in extreme amounts. There is no lethal dosage for humans, but a constant daily intake of up to 1,500 mg is associated with the following symptoms [R, R, R, R].
Drug and Supplement Interactions
Theobromine interacts with caffeine increasing heart rate, alertness, and widening of blood vessels more than either substance would if taken individually [R].
Theobromine works with another component of cocoa, epicatechin, which improves muscular health and promotes strength and faster muscle recovery. In rats, theobromine increased the absorption of epicatechin into the body, resulting in increased muscle strength and recovery [R, R].
Theobromine is mainly found in cacao beans [R].
- A 70% dark chocolate bar can have as much as 810 mg of theobromine, while a milk chocolate bar has 65 mg [R].
- A single block of unsweetened chocolate has 375 mg of theobromine [R].
Theobromine is also found in tea leaves, guarana berries, and cola nuts, all of which also contain caffeine [R].
Pure theobromine is a fine bitter powder, which is taken on its own or used in foods and drinks. Some also use the powder on top of their toothpaste when they brush their teeth for its fluoride-like effects [R, R].
Theobromine can also be found in capsules, ranging from 350 to 500 mg [R].
If you’re interested in a supplement that provides a full package approach to superior cognitive function and health, we recommend Qualia, which contains Theobromine and many other great brain boosting ingredients. Use the coupon code ‘selfhacked’ and get 10% off a 1 time order or 15% off of a recurring order.
A standard dosage of theobromine ranges from 50 to ~1,000 mg, depending on the product. Dosages of 500 mg have the greatest benefits with little to no negative side effects [R].
For many people theobromine successfully lowers blood pressure. They also noticed less negative side effects when they take theobromine by itself instead of in a product that also has caffeine.
It is often preferred over caffeine due to the similar but significantly milder effects. The effects of theobromine also last longer. Those who take cocoa as a supplement experience the mental benefits of combining the two substances, such as better focus, concentration, and mood.
Users also notice improved physical health when combining theobromine with caffeine because of the long-lasting energy the substances provide during exercise.
Some users experience fast-paced heart rate, and get slight trembling feelings or nausea with pure theobromine powder.
Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
At SelfHacked, it’s our goal to offer our readers all the tools possible to get optimally healthy. When I was struggling with chronic health issues I felt stuck because I didn’t have any tools to help me get better. I had to spend literally thousands of hours trying to read through studies on pubmed to figure out how the body worked and how to fix it.
That’s why I decided to create tools that will help others cut down the guesswork:
- Lab Test Analyzer – a software tool that will analyze your labs and tell you what the optimal values are for each marker — as well as provide you with actionable tips and personalized health and lifestyle recommendations to help you get there.
- SelfDecode – a software tool that will help you analyze your genetic data from companies such as 23andme and ancestry. You will learn how your health is being impacted by your genes, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage.
- SelfHacked Secrets – an ebook where we examine and explain the biggest overlooked environmental factors that cause disease. This ebook is a great place to start your journey if you want to learn the essential steps to optimizing your health.
- SelfHacked Elimination Diet course – a video course that will help you figure out which diet works best for you
- Selfhacked Inflammation course – a video course on inflammation and how to bring it down
- Biohacking insomnia – an ebook on how to get great sleep
- Lectin Avoidance Cookbook – an e-cookbook for people with food sensitivities
- BrainGauge – a device that detects subtle brain changes and allows you to test what’s working for you
- SelfHacked VIP – an area where you can ask me (Joe) questions about health topics
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?