Tongkat Ali is a herbal supplement used as an aphrodisiac and testosterone booster. Not only can it enhance sexual health and performance, but it may also be beneficial in male osteoporosis, diabetes, and anxiety. Read more below to learn about the health benefits of Tongkat Ali, dosage, reviews, and side effects. If you are enjoying the content on the site you should check out the SelfHacked Secrets book to discover the substances that I have found to be the most useful for my clients and I. Click here to download the first chapter for free.
- Mechanism of Action
- Health Benefits of Tongkat Ali
- 1) Tongkat Ali May Increase Testosterone
- 2) Tongkat Ali Improves Male Fertility
- 3) Tongkat Ali Improves Male Sexual Health
- 4) Tongkat Ali May Enhance Muscle Strength
- 5) Tongkat Ali May Promote Weight Loss
- 6) Tongkat Ali May Treat Male Osteoporosis
- 7) Tongkat Ali May Combat Cancer
- 8) Tongkat Ali May Reduce Stress And Anxiety
- 9) Tongkat Ali May Enhance the Immune System
- 10) Tongkat Ali May Reduce Blood Sugar
- 11) Tongkat Ali May Decrease Blood Pressure
- 12) Tongkat Ali Decreases Pain And Inflammation
- 13) Tongkat Ali May Combat Bacteria
- 14) Tongkat Ali May Fight Parasites
- 15) Tongkat Ali Has Antiulcer Properties
- Other (Anecdotal)
- Side Effects
- Limitations and Caveats
- Drug Interactions
- Natural Sources (or Forms of Supplementation)
- User Experiences
- Buy Tongkat Ali Supplements
However, this plant also has a variety of other benefits including:
- Promoting bone formation [R]
- Increasing muscle strength and athletic performance [R]
- Improving physical and mental energy levels and overall quality of life [R, R]
- Reducing anxiety and stress [R]
- Anticancer effects [R]
- Antimicrobial and antifungal effects [R]
- Antiulcer effects [R]
- Antioxidant effects [R]
- Lowering blood sugar [R]
The stem and root extracts of the Eurycoma longifolia plant contain:
- Quassinoids (e.g., eurycomaoside, eurycomanone, pasakbumin-B): These compounds have anticancer, antiparasitic, and antiulcer effects [R, R, R].
- Alkaloids, which have anticancer and antibacterial properties [R, R, R].
Mechanism of Action
- Stimulating the production of testosterone from pregnenolone and 17-OH-pregnenolone
- Blocking aromatase, the enzyme that converts testosterone to estrogens
- Stimulating bone cell growth (via testosterone)
- Increasing the activity of alkaline phosphatase (ALP), an enzyme that plays a role in the development of bones and teeth
- Enhancing the deposition and mineralization of collagen
- Inhibiting tumor growth and progression (by inhibiting NF-κB)
- Promoting cancer cell death
Tongkat Ali improves gut health by [R]:
- Reducing excess stomach acid, which helps prevent ulcers
Health Benefits of Tongkat Ali
1) Tongkat Ali May Increase Testosterone
A 5-week pilot study of 25 seniors found that Tongkat Ali increased testosterone levels and muscle strength in both men and women [R].
Tongkat Ali supplementation also increased testosterone levels in a 4-week study of 76 men with hypogonadism (an impaired function of the testes) [R].
However, in a 15-week study (DB-RCT) of 13 recreational athletes, Tongkat Ali did not increase testosterone levels in the urine, prompting the researchers to conclude that it does not breach the International Olympic Committee doping policies [R].
Tongkat Ali significantly increased testosterone levels in rats [R].
2) Tongkat Ali Improves Male Fertility
Studies in rats also showed that Tongkat Ali reversed the inhibitory effects of estrogen on testosterone production and increased sperm production, count, concentration, motility, and vitality [R, R, R].
3) Tongkat Ali Improves Male Sexual Health
A 12-week study (DB-RCT) in 109 men found that Tongkat Ali increased libido and improved erectile function compared to placebo [R].
Similarly, a 12-week study (DB-RCT) of 26 men found that a freeze-dried water Tongkat Ali supplement improved sexual performance and increased the hardness and duration of erection [R].
4) Tongkat Ali May Enhance Muscle Strength
Tongkat Ali supplements increased muscle strength in both men and women in a 5-week pilot study of 25 seniors [R].
Similarly, in a 5-week pilot study of 14 healthy men, Tongkat Ali increased muscle strength and size and improved athletic performance [R].
5) Tongkat Ali May Promote Weight Loss
Tongkat Ali reduced fat mass, waist circumference, and hip size compared to placebo in a 12-week study (DB-RCT) of 109 men [R].
Another (pilot) study in 14 healthy men showed that Tongkat Ali supplements increased muscle strength and size while decreasing body fat after 5 weeks [R].
Tongkat Ali also reduced body weight and belly fat in mice. However, it did not affect the weight of the internal organs [R].
6) Tongkat Ali May Treat Male Osteoporosis
Tongkat Ali strengthens bones by [R]:
- Increasing testosterone levels
- Stimulating the production of osteoblasts, or bone-forming cells
- Triggering the death of cells that break down bone tissue (osteoclasts)
- Decreasing bone loss and preserving bone mass
Thus, it may be used for male osteoporosis treatment.
However, in another study, Tongkat Ali did not restore testosterone levels and bone volume in the castrated rats with osteoporosis [R].
7) Tongkat Ali May Combat Cancer
Tongkat Ali prevented the growth of subcutaneous (under the skin) tumors in mice [R].
Other cell-based studies found that Tongkat Ali was effective against various types of cancers including leukemia, and lung and breast cancers. However, it only showed moderate effectiveness against gut cancer [R, R].
8) Tongkat Ali May Reduce Stress And Anxiety
Tongkat Ali also reduced the frequency of fighting episodes and increased exploratory behavior in mice [R].
9) Tongkat Ali May Enhance the Immune System
10) Tongkat Ali May Reduce Blood Sugar
11) Tongkat Ali May Decrease Blood Pressure
In rats, Tongkat Ali widened blood vessels, which lowered blood pressure [R].
12) Tongkat Ali Decreases Pain And Inflammation
13) Tongkat Ali May Combat Bacteria
Tongkat Ali inhibited the growth of harmful bacteria in the lab (such as Salmonella, E. coli, staph, and typhoid-causing bacteria) [R, R].
14) Tongkat Ali May Fight Parasites
Another lab study showed that Tongkat Ali inhibited the growth of Toxoplasma gondii, a parasite causing toxoplasmosis [R].
This is likely due to its content of quassinoids, compounds that exhibit anti-parasitic properties by inhibiting parasitic growth, movement, and reproduction [R].
15) Tongkat Ali Has Antiulcer Properties
Tongkat Ali may cause [R]:
One clinical study showed that doses up to 600 mg/kg of Tongkat Ali did not cause any adverse effects [R].
Another clinical trial also showed that Tongkat Ali had no side effects [R].
However, in the lab, it was found that high doses (equal to or higher than 2.5μg ml) of Tongkat Ali can harm the human sperm [R].
Limitations and Caveats
Most studies investigating the effects of Tongkat Ali are performed on animals. More human studies are needed to confirm its efficacy.
Although Tongkat Ali is reported to enhance libido and bone health in females, there is no clinical evidence to support this.
Tongkat Ali reduces the absorption of beta blockers (such as propranolol), so these drugs should not be taken with Tongkat Ali [R].
Tongkat Ali inhibits the metabolic activities of CYP1A2, CYP2A6, and CYP2C19 enzymes. These enzymes are part of the CYP540 family, which are responsible for breaking down or activating drugs. Inhibition of these enzymes may cause adverse effects with specific drugs (e.g., some antidepressants, beta-blockers, statins, warfarin, and antiepileptics) [R, R].
Natural Sources (or Forms of Supplementation)
According to a toxicology report, the acceptable daily dosage for adults is up to 1.2 g/ day [R].
The dosage for children is unknown.
Some users report a boost in libido, energy, and sexual activity, as well as a drop in blood pressure:
“After week 3 I felt a real boost and had a strong increase in my libido and my sexual activity.”
“I felt more energized, my libido improved and my blood pressure dropped.”
“Successfully works as an aphrodisiac.”
“ More energy, strength, and libido. I feel 25 years younger than my age!”
“I’m 56 now, and my libido declined since I was younger. Tongkat Ali made my sex drive back to when I was in my 30s, and my energy levels are higher. However, when I take it late at night I have trouble sleeping.”
“Proper use of the product is very effective.”
Other users report an increase in muscle strength and performance:
“At age 60, it gave me longer, stronger, and meatier erections and lots of them. I even get spontaneous erections during the day. My workouts are far more productive and I sleep like a baby.”
“The results in muscle strength and muscle growth are great.”
“The amount of weights that I began to lift in the gym was notable and my strength just seems to triple.”
Some people experienced reduced pain after taking Tongkat Ali:
“Suffer from arthritis and when on naproxen I still had irregular pains in various parts of the body (mainly hands). For over six weeks with Tongkat Ali, feel almost completely pain-free.”
However, others describe Tongkat Ali as not safe and report an enlarged prostate, increase in fat gain, anger, and bad night sweats after taking the herb:
“It’s great if you get the real stuff. But many sources on the web just sell tribulus and put a Tongkat Ali label on the bottle.”
“NOT SAFE!!! It ENLARGED MY PROSTATE for THE REST OF MY LIFE at my 34 YEARS OLD!!!” Still have trouble peeing and I’m terrified of harming my kidneys. Don’t take this supplement.”
“ I have more fat on my chest, back, and stomach.”
“ This herb has a strong effect when an active dose is taken. I got more sexual thoughts and improved erections. Unfortunately, I also got more angry and aggressive from this herb. It made my testicles swell, with less “shrinkage” at flaccid state, thicker semen, testicular aching, bad night sweats, and increased body hair.”
Buy Tongkat Ali Supplements
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?