Tribulus Terrestris is a plant used around the world for its many health benefits. It can protect the heart, help treat depression, and even increase libido. Read more below to learn all about its effects.
- Health Benefits of Tribulus Terrestris
- Buy Tribulus Terrestris
- Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
Tribulus Terrestris is a spiny Mediterranean plant found across the globe (R, R).
Tribulus supplements come in pill and powder form. The supplements usually contain the flower and aerial parts of the plant (R).
Health Benefits of Tribulus Terrestris
1) Tribulus Lowers Blood Pressure
In a study with hypertensive subjects, 3g of Tribulus fruit and plant extract taken daily reduced both blood pressure and heart rate after one week. Tribulus has anti-hypertensive effects on both systolic and diastolic pressures (R).
2) Tribulus Reduces Cholesterol Levels
In patients with high blood pressure, 3g daily supplementation can help lower cholesterol levels (R).
3) Tribulus Protects the Heart
These effects occur when Tribulus is at a low concentration,
4) Tribulus Might Help Treat Depression
In mice, very high doses of Tribulus Terrestris reduced symptoms of depression. However, its effects are not as powerful as antidepressants (R).
5) Tribulus Improves Insulin Levels
Compounds in Tribulus can help reduce diabetic effects. Tribulus reduces blood glucose levels while improving insulin levels in mice after 8 weeks of treatment (R).
6) Tribulus May Increase Libido
Tribulus supplementation can increase sperm count in men with oligozoospermia (low sperm count). It also found that Tribulus supplementation induced an improvement in erectile properties (R).
- There is a gradual decrease in systolic blood pressure in both the drug treated groups A and B from the and of the 1st weeks of therapy (R).
- The decrease of serum cholesterol was also observed in both the drug treated groups. However, the effect was more pronounced in Group A (10.23;<0.01) (R).
- Pre-treatment with RGT and imipramine significantly reduced the immobility duration of mice in comparison to control group. However, in comparison to vehicle control, RGT non-significantly reduced the immobility duration (R).
- After the pretreatment of 100 mg x L(-1) GSTT, compared with the H2O2 group, GSTT decreased the apoptotic percentage in cardiocytes damaged by H2O2 (P < 0.01) (R).
- Moreover, the saponin attenuated the apoptosis in cardiocyte in response to NaCN (R).
If used for libido or erectile dysfunction reasons, take 6g of Tribulus root twice daily (before food in the morning and at night) (R).
If used for hypertension, take 3g of Tribulus fruit and aerial parts in the morning before food (R).
Athletes and bodybuilders use Tribulus because they believe it increases testosterone concentrations. However, evidence supporting such claims are lackluster. Multiple trials carried out with control groups revealed that taking Tribulus alone had no effect on testosterone levels in humans (R, R).
Although Tribulus is widely marketed as a solution for sexual dysfunctions and infertility, such claims are unsubstantiated. It seems that sperm count and quality did not vary significantly between the control group and the experimental group. In a double-blind, placebo-controlled study, the Tribulus granules failed to significantly outperform the placebo (R).
Long term use does not show any major side effects (R).
Buy Tribulus Terrestris
Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
At SelfHacked, it’s our goal to offer our readers all the tools possible to get optimally healthy. When I was struggling with chronic health issues I felt stuck because I didn’t have any tools to help me get better. I had to spend literally thousands of hours trying to read through studies on pubmed to figure out how the body worked and how to fix it.
That’s why I decided to create tools that will help others cut down the guesswork:
- Lab Test Analyzer – a software tool that will analyze your labs and tell you what the optimal values are for each marker — as well as provide you with actionable tips and personalized health and lifestyle recommendations to help you get there.
- SelfDecode – a software tool that will help you analyze your genetic data from companies such as 23andme and ancestry. You will learn how your health is being impacted by your genes, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage.
- SelfHacked Secrets – an ebook where we examine and explain the biggest overlooked environmental factors that cause disease. This ebook is a great place to start your journey if you want to learn the essential steps to optimizing your health.
- SelfHacked Elimination Diet course – a video course that will help you figure out which diet works best for you
- Selfhacked Inflammation course – a video course on inflammation and how to bring it down
- Biohacking insomnia – an ebook on how to get great sleep
- Lectin Avoidance Cookbook – an e-cookbook for people with food sensitivities
- BrainGauge – a device that detects subtle brain changes and allows you to test what’s working for you
- SelfHacked VIP – an area where you can ask me (Joe) questions about health topics
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?