If you’re having chronic inflammation or autoimmune issues, you need to learn about VIP and see the role it plays in your issues. This is a good hormone to read about because you can check it in your blood and also increase it with natural means (and a VIP spray if not). I have solved my autoimmunity and chronic inflammation issues that held me down for most of my life, all across my site you can find the research I have compiled that has helped me become the best version of myself, I have also created a simple and easy to read book called SelfHacked Secrets.
- Intro to VIP
- VIP, Hormones, And Neurotransmitters
- VIP: The Good
- VIP: The Bad
- How to Increase VIP
- Exercise and VIP
- Checking VIP
- Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
Intro to VIP
VIP increases motility, induces muscle relaxation of the GI tract (lower esophageal sphincter, stomach, gallbladder), stimulates secretion of water into pancreatic juice (such as bicarbonate) and bile, stimulates pepsinogen, and causes inhibition of stomach acid secretion (by gastrin) and inhibits absorption of water from the intestines (R).
VIP, Hormones, And Neurotransmitters
VIP: The Good
VIP is an Anti-Inflammatory
VIP decreases most inflammatory cytokines.
In some instances, VIP can boost the immune system. In inflammatory sites, VIP may cooperate with proinflammatory mediators, such as TNF, to induce Dendritic Cell maturation (R). VIP increased CCL5, which helps recruit T cells (R).
VIP Protects Against Autoimmune Disease
VIP may help autoimmune/inflammatory diseases, including rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, Crohn disease, septic shock, uveoretinitis, and experimental models of brain inflammation (R).
Patients with early arthritis who are unable to increase VIP do worse, despite receiving more intense treatment (R).
VIP is an Antimicrobial
VIP has antimicrobial, antibacterial and antifungal properties (R).
VIP is Anti-Anxiety
VIP is Anti-Diabetic
VIP Increases Fertility
Female mice deficient in VIP produce about half the offspring of their normal sister mice even when mated to the same males (R).
VIP-deficient females have a disrupted estrous cycle (R).
VIP Increases Sexual Function
VIP helps induce penile erections (R).
VIP increases vaginal lubrication in normal women, doubling the total volume of lubrication produced (R).
VIP Improves Circadian Rhythms
VIP is also involved in synchronizing the timing of SCN function with the environmental light-dark cycle (R).
VIP-deficient mice have less strong (i.e lower amplitude) circadian rhythms as well as our of sync clocks with the SCN and other tissue (R).
In the adrenals, circadian rhythms (Per1) were lost in VIP-deficient mice, while in the liver, the most dramatic impact was on the phase or timing of the rhythm (R).
VIP: The Bad
Most of my clients are thin and suffering from autoimmunity or its precursors.
In the research, there is a tradeoff between autoimmunity and cancer.
You know, those people who don’t seem to have any chronic inflammatory issues while eating shit until they’re 50, except being overweight, until one day they get cancer.
VIP is an important candidate to the biological differences between such people.
VIP May Contribute to Migraines, Eczema
VIP May Contribute to Obesity
While VIP has some mixed effects, but on the whole, it’s thought to contribute to obesity.
VIP may explain in part why people who gain weight more easily often have lower chronic inflammation.
- VIP decreases basal metabolic rates (R).
- VIP stimulate insulin secretion (R).
- VIP decreases physical activity (R).
VIP Can Contribute to Cancer
VIP increases VEGF and induces other biological mechanisms that induce tumor growth (EGFR and HER2 activation) and increase the production of cancer genes (c-fos, c-jun and c-myc) oncogenes. There also is mounting evidence that VIP is involved in the pathogenesis of prostate cancer (R).
How to Increase VIP
Besides glycine and prolonged fasts, there is insufficient information as to if and how much these methods can increase blood VIP.
If these natural methods don’t work enough, you can also try to get a script from your doc for an intranasal VIP.
Bone broth has glycine, but I prefer the supplemental form. Bone broth and chicken soup make me sleepy.
Nicotine does indeed increase gut flow pretty powerfully.
3) Vagus Nerve Stimulation
Stimulating the vagus nerve causes it to release VIP (R).
6) Lemon and Limonene
- Circadian rhythm entrainment?
- Leptin (R) -Leptin acts synergistically with TGF-beta to increase VIP.
- TGF beta1 (R),
- 5-HT3R (R)- activates VIP neurons.,
- Secretin (R),
- cAMP/CREB (R),
- Baicalein (R), -increases VIP in certain cells infected by human cytomegalovirus (R). Whether it increases VIP in people is unknown.
- Ginger? Some people use ginger, but I haven’t seen any studies on ginger and VIP.
Exercise and VIP
VIP is elevated in the blood after aerobic exercise [R]. However, anti-VIP antibodies are also increased, which results in suppression of VIP – and on the whole, it seems like exercise decreases VIP over the long term [R].
VIP is often low in mold illness/CIRS, which can contribute to a chronic inflammatory state.
I would recommend checking your VIP if you have chronic inflammatory or autoimmune issues. This article will explain the importance of VIP and natural ways to increase it.
Health Tools I Wish I Had When I Was Sick
At SelfHacked, it’s our goal to offer our readers all the tools possible to get optimally healthy. When I was struggling with chronic health issues I felt stuck because I didn’t have any tools to help me get better. I had to spend literally thousands of hours trying to read through studies on pubmed to figure out how the body worked and how to fix it.
That’s why I decided to create tools that will help others cut down the guesswork:
- Lab Test Analyzer – a software tool that will analyze your labs and tell you what the optimal values are for each marker — as well as provide you with actionable tips and personalized health and lifestyle recommendations to help you get there.
- SelfDecode – a software tool that will help you analyze your genetic data from companies such as 23andme and ancestry. You will learn how your health is being impacted by your genes, and how to use this knowledge to your advantage.
- SelfHacked Secrets – an ebook where we examine and explain the biggest overlooked environmental factors that cause disease. This ebook is a great place to start your journey if you want to learn the essential steps to optimizing your health.
- SelfHacked Elimination Diet course – a video course that will help you figure out which diet works best for you
- Selfhacked Inflammation course – a video course on inflammation and how to bring it down
- Biohacking insomnia – an ebook on how to get great sleep
- Lectin Avoidance Cookbook – an e-cookbook for people with food sensitivities
- BrainGauge – a device that detects subtle brain changes and allows you to test what’s working for you
- SelfHacked VIP – an area where you can ask me (Joe) questions about health topics
The information on this website has not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration or any other medical body. We do not aim to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any illness or disease. Information is shared for educational purposes only. You must consult your doctor before acting on any content on this website, especially if you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition.
HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ARTICLE?